Andy Roddick Foundation
The Andy Roddick Foundation is a nonprofit organization focused on closing the educational achievement gap by providing children with abundant opportunities outside the school day. The Andy Roddick Foundation understands that talent is universal but opportunity is not and knows that opportunity matters. By addressing this ongoing opportunity gap that exists between lower income students and their peers, all students can grow, thrive, and succeed. To do this, the Andy Roddick Foundation is building high-quality summer learning opportunities, making investments in effective afterschool and summer programs, and partnering with others to collectively impact that future of students in the Austin community by ensuring they have access to high-quality opportunities outside the school day. This is all designed to build resilient students that have the skills, traits, and opportunities needed to reach their full potential.
Founded in 2000 by tennis professional Andy Roddick, the Andy Roddick Foundation relocated from Boca Raton, Florida to Austin, Texas in 2012. The Foundation is working with donors to construct a Sports and Learning Center in East Austin that will include more than 10,000 square feet (930 m2) of computer labs, meeting and mentoring rooms, and staff work space surrounded by tennis courts, basketball courts, sports fields, and outdoor learning spaces. The Sports and Learning Center will provide a safe, enriching space for children in the Austin community.
In 2005 the foundation held its first "Champions for Charity" gala in Austin, Texas, which included appearances from Olympic gold medalist Sarah Hughes and a private performance by musician Elton John.
The Andy Roddick Foundation will host its 8th Annual Andy Roddick Foundation Charity Gala on Oct. 17, 2013, featuring Sir Elton John.
During the 17th Annual National Philanthropy Day Celebration on November 16, 2005, the Andy Roddick Foundation was honored with the "Outstanding Foundation" award from the Association of Fundraising Professionals Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Chapter.
- "Andy Roddick and Lexus Clinch Perfect Match With Multi-Year Partnership", PRNewsWire, June 17, 2005. Retrieved December 12, 2005.
- "Vitalspring Technologies announces official endorsement of Andy Roddick Foundation", February 7, 2005. Retrieved December 12, 2005.
- "Andy Roddick Foundation Honored", ATP Insider, December 2, 2005. Retrieved December 12, 2005.
- The Andy Roddick Foundation official website
- The Official Website of Andy Roddick
- "Foundation recipients", Andy Roddick Foundation, 2005. Retrieved December 12, 2005.
- "Elton John to star at Andy Roddick Charity Benefit", PRNewsWire, January 25, 2005. Retrieved December 12, 2005.
- "USA Tennis Florida joins stars to celebrate Andy Roddick Charity Weekend", USA Tennis Florida, December 20, 2004. Retrieved December 12, 2005.