Anthony C. Lund
|Anthony C. Lund|
|Music Director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir|
|1916 – 1935|
|Successor||J. Spencer Cornwall|
|Born||Anthony Canute Lund
February 25, 1871
Ephraim, Utah Territory, United States
|Died||June 11, 1935
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
|Resting place||Salt Lake City Cemetery
|Parents||Anthon H. Lund
Sarah Ann Peterson
Anthony Canute Lund (February 25, 1871 – June 11, 1935) was the director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City, Utah from 1916 until 1935. Lund was also a professor of music at Brigham Young University.
Lund was born of Swedish immigrant Anthon H. Lund in Ephraim, Utah Territory. At 18 he was made choir director in Ephraim. In 1891 he graduated from Brigham Young Academy. He then studied at the Royal Conservatory in Leipzig. He also did studies in London and Paris. His departure from Brigham Young University to direct the choir was viewed as a loss to the former institution.
In 1897, Lund became head of what was then the Brigham Young Academy Music Department. Under his direction it was changed from being a department to being a school of music in 1901. He continued as head of the music department after the school became Brigham Young University. He also was on the faculty of the Utah Conservatory and the McCune School of Music.
Lund was succeeded as director of the choir by J. Spencer Cornwall.
- "Certificate of Death" (JPEG). State of Utah. June 12, 1935. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- Cornwall, J. Spencer. A Century of Singing: The Salt Lake Mormon Tabernacle Choir. (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1958) p. 359
- Cornwall. A Century of Singing. p. 359.
- Alexander, Thomas G. Mormonism in Transition: A History of the Latter-Day Saints, 1890-1930 p. 174
- Cornwall. A Century of Singing. p. 359
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- The Official Site of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- Utah Artists Project - Julia Farnsworth Lund Wassner at www.lib.utah.edu
- Campus Photos : Browse at contentdm.lib.byu.edu This link includes two photos that contain Anthony C. Lund
- Anthony C. Lund at Find a Grave
|This article related to the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|