Athos, aka the Comte de la Fère is a fictional character in the novels The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, and The Vicomte de Bragelonne by Alexandre Dumas, père.
In The Three Musketeers, he and the other two musketeers Porthos and Aramis are friends of the novel's protagonist, d'Artagnan. He has a mysterious past connecting him with the villain of the novel, Milady de Winter.
The oldest by some years, Athos is described as noble and handsome but also very secretive, drowning his secret sorrows in drink. He is very protective of d'Artagnan, the youngest, whom he treats as a son.
By the end of the novel, it is revealed that he is the Comte de la Fère, who was Milady's husband before she married the Baron de Winter.
In the latter two novels, he is openly known as the Comte de la Fère and is the adopted father of the young hero, Raoul, vicomte de Bragelonne (and it is ultimately revealed that he is his biological father as well). In Twenty Years After it is left uncertain whether Athos is the father of Mordaunt (John Francis de Winter, son of Milady de Winter). Mordaunt attempts to avenge the death of his mother by killing those responsible. However, he himself dies while he and Athos struggle in the middle of the English Channel. Athos himself almost drowns in this struggle as well causing Aramis, Porthos, and D'Artagnan to lament his death for a few moments before he resurfaces.
Athos' first name is never told in the novels. However, in Dumas' play "The Youth of the Musketeers," the young Milady, then named Charlotte, calls the then Vicomte de la Fère, Olivier.
The fictional Athos is named after the historical musketeer Armand de Sillègue d'Athos d'Autevielle (1615-1644), though they don't actually have much in common apart from the name. His birthplace is the commune of Athos-Aspis in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques department. The name also resembles Mount Athos, which is referred to in chapter 13 of The Three Musketeers in which a Bastille guard says, "But that is not a man's name; that is the name of a mountain." His title, Comte de la Fère, while invented, is tied to the domains of La Fère which were once owned by Anne of Austria, Queen of France in these novels and in the historical period in which they are set.
In film and television 
Actors who have played Athos on screen include:
- Herbert Delmar, in The Three Musketeers: Parts I and II (1911)
- Alfred Hollingsworth, in The Three Musketeers (1916)
- Henri Rollan, in Les trois mousquetaires (1921)
- Léon Bary, in The Three Musketeers (1921)
- Léon Bary, in The Iron Mask (1929)
- Henri Rollan, in Les Trois Mousquetaires (1933)
- Paul Lukas, in The Three Musketeers (1935)
- Van Heflin, in The Three Musketeers (1948)
- John Hubbard, in The Three Musketeers (1950)
- Steve Brodie, in Lady in the Iron Mask (1952)
- Jean Martinelli, in Les Trois Mousquetaires (1953)
- Paul Hansard, in The Three Musketeers (1954)
- Domenico Modugno, in The Three Musketeers (1956)
- Barry Morse, in The Three Musketeers (TV movie) (1960)
- Georges Descrières, in Les Trois Mousquetaires: La Vengeance de Milady (1961) and Les Trois Mousquetaires: Les Ferrets de la Reine (1961)
- Franco Fantasia, in D’Artagnan contro i tre moschettieri (1963)
- Jeremy Watson, in The Three Musketeers (1966)
- Jeremy Young, in The Further Adventures of the Three Musketeers (1967)
- Erik Maes, in Die Drie Musketiers (1968)
- Powys Thomas, in The Three Musketeers (1969)
- Yvan Tanguy, in Les Quatre Charlots Mousquetaires (1971)
- Oliver Reed, in The Three Musketeers (1973), The Four Musketeers (1974), and The Return of the Musketeers (1989)
- Veniamin Smekhov, in D'Artanyan i Tri Mushketyora (1978), Mushketyory 20 let spustya (1992), and Tayna Korolevy Anny ili Mushketyory 30 Let Spustya (1993)
- José Ferrer, in The Fifth Musketeer (1979)
- Akira Kamiya, in Anime San Jushi (1987)
- Kiefer Sutherland, in The Three Musketeers (1993)
- Jean-Luc Bideau, in Revenge of the Musketeers (1994)
- Edward Albert, in an early 1998 film of The Man in the Iron Mask
- John Malkovich, in The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
- Gordon Carpenter, in Three Musketeers (1999)
- Scott Hickman, in Young Blades (2001) (unaired TV series pilot)
- Jan Gregor Kremp, in The Musketeer (2001)
- Christopher Cazenove, in La Femme Musketeer (TV miniseries) (2003)
- Heino Ferch, in D'Artagnan et les trois mousquetaires (2005)
- Matthew Macfadyen, in The Three Musketeers (2011)