Atlantis Paradise Island
The Atlantis Paradise Island is a resort and waterpark located on Paradise Island, The Bahamas. Officially opened in 1998, the resort was created by South African hotel magnate Sol Kerzner and Kerzner International Limited. Paradise Island first opened its Coral and Beach Towers as the Trump Plaza, then changed its name to Atlantis when the Royal Towers were built. The Coral and Beach Towers were later refurbished to match the theme of the Royal Towers. On 28 March 2007 a 600-suite luxury hotel named The Cove Atlantis opened on Paradise Island. Another tower, the 497-room Reef Atlantis, opened 19 December 2007. Atlantis was heavily impacted by the crisis in the United States in 2008 and had to lay off 800 employees to face decline in occupancy rates.
Accommodations at the resort include:
- The Beach Tower, formerly known as the Paradise Beach Hotel;
- The Coral Towers, formerly known as the Britannia Beach Hotel;
- The Royal Towers contain the "Bridge Suite", ranked in 2002 by Forbes as the most expensive hotel room in the world. With the recent hotels built over the last couple of years, Atlantis is included in one of the most expensive hotels in the world; The Bridge Suite, billed at US $25,000 per night, is listed at number 10 on the World's 15 most expensive hotel suites compiled by CNN Go in 2012.
- Harborside Resort consists of 392 villas and features a harbor-front restaurant, pool area including a children's pool with water fountains, a fitness facility, a sundry store, and all-day shuttle service to Atlantis;
- The Reef, the newest building at Atlantis, consists of condominium hotel residences;
- The Cove Atlantis is a 600-suite tower that opened in 2007.
Opened in 2007, the 141-acre (0.57 km2), 200-million-US-gallon (760,000 m3) Aquaventure combines slides, lazy rivers, and rapids into one large waterscape. The centerpiece of the attraction is the Power Tower which contains four waterslides. The slides include The Abyss, The Drop, The Falls and The Surge. Aquaventure also includes one of the Atlantis' most popular attractions, The Current.
The Current is a mile long, 3-million-US-gallon (11,000 m3) water ride complete with waves and artificial tidal surges. It also has fake steam and rapids at certain points throughout the ride
Mayan temple slides
At the Royal Towers is the Mayan Temple entertainment attraction consisting of 4 major slides: Leap of Faith, the Challenger Slides, the Serpent Slide, and the Jungle Slide.
The Dig is a series of aquariums located beneath the lobby of the Royal Towers and is the world's largest open air marine habitat. Hundreds of different aquatic species can be spotted in the Dig's various tanks such as angelfish, sharks, manta rays (one of which is larger than ten feet), and various types of jellyfish. The goal of The Dig is to provide guests with a taste of life in the legendary destroyed city of Atlantis. If one observes the bottom of the floors in the different aquariums, wreckage and debris scattered about represent the "Lost City of Atlantis."
In the last few years, Atlantis has made an effort to host concerts and other events to its guests. In early 2010 and June 2011, Jerry Seinfeld performed at the Atlantis resort. Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Sara Bareilles, Paul Potts, Katy Perry, N'SYNC, Sheryl Crow, Kenny Chesney, and Lady Antebellum have all performed concerts either outside, in the Imperial Ballroom, or in the Atlantis Theatre. Michael Jackson and Gloria Estefan have participated in performances at the resort, as well.
The Marina and Marina Village
The resort features a marina designed to dock large yachts. The eastern side of the marina features the Marina Village, which is a small shopping center reminiscent of market-style tourist centers, such as the Faneuil Hall in Boston or Downtown Disney at the American Disney parks. The center features numerous restaurants and stores, such as Johnny Rockets, Carmines and Starbucks. The Harborside Resort at Atlantis is located on the south side of the marina.
In popular culture
- The resort was heavily featured during two episodes of Damon Wayans' situation comedy My Wife and Kids, season 5, episode 16 & 17 "The Bahamas 1 & 2"
- After the Sunset (2004), a film featuring Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek, features the Royal Tower's Bridge Suite in numerous scenes.
- The hotel was seen in the background of the 2006 James Bond film, "Casino Royale" starring Daniel Craig, produced by EON Productions, as 007 arrived in Nassau.
- Since 2008, five Miss Teen USA pageants have taken place at Atlantis resort.
- N Sync filmed their Atlantis Concert special at the hotel in 2001 with Tim McGraw. It included an a cappella rendition of "This I Promise You" from within the Dig aquarium's underwater tunnel.
- In 2009, the 58th Miss Universe pageant has chosen Atlantis to host this year's pageant, the first time in the Bahamas history. The final was held on August 23, 2009.
- The hotel was featured in the 2009 movie Duplicity
- The resort was featured on Ugly Betty season 4 episode 8, "The Bahamas Triangle"
- The resort is prominent in the Mary-Kate and Ashley film, Holiday in the Sun.
- The Leap of Faith slide was featured in the South Park episode "Jewpacabra".
- Justin Bieber filmed his music video for "Never Let You Go" that features Paige Hurd at the hotel in 2010.
- "Reef Atlantis". WhereToStay.com. Retrieved 2010-03-15.
- "Tough decision". Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "The World's Most Expensive Hotel Rooms". Forbes Review. Retrieved 2002-03-07.
- "The World's most expensive hotel rooms (2003)". Forbes Review. Archived from the original on 6 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-24.
- Arnold, Helen "World's 15 most expensive hotel suites" CNN Go. 25 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-11
- "Paradise Found", Forbes review
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Atlantis, Paradise Island.|
- Atlantis Paradise Island (official website)
- Atlantis Paradise Island : Nassau Paradise Island Travel Guide Profile
- Atlantis Paradise Island profile on GoParadiseIsland.com
- Atlantis Resort in Paradise Island in the Bahamas
Crown Convention Center
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Mandalay Bay Events Center