Avatar (Swedish band)
|Genres||Melodic death metal, groove metal, hard rock, nu metal|
|Labels||Gain Music Entertainment|
|Past members||Simon Andersson|
The band was formed in 2001 by drummer John Alfredsson and singer Johannes Eckerström. After a turbulent start, the line up settled in the fall of 2003 and stayed the same for ten years. In February 2013 guitarist Simon Andersson left the band, being replaced by Tim Öhrström.
Avatar has seen several European tours as supporting act for Impaled Nazarene (May 2006), Evergrey (October - November 2006), In Flames (March 2007), Obituary (January - February 2008), Hardcore Superstar (October - November 2009), Warrior Soul (March - April 2010), Dark Tranquillity (October - November 2010), Helloween (December 2010 - January 2011) and Avenged Sevenfold/Five Finger Death Punch (December 2013) as well as an American tour with Lacuna Coil/Sevendust (February 2013). The band has performed on several of the larger music festivals in Sweden, e.g. Sweden Rock Festival, Arvikafestivalen and Storsjöyran.
Schlacht, the second album by Avatar was released in October 2007, reaching spot 27 on the Swedish album chart. Björn Gelotte from In Flames contributed a guitar solo on the track Letters From Neverend.
The band's third album, the self-titled Avatar, was released in Sweden in November 2009 reaching the 36th position on the national album chart. Most of the year up until the release of the album was spent in the studio. In January 2010 the band signed with Sony Music for the German and Swiss release of the latest album on March 26, 2010. In April of the same year a deal was signed with the Japanese label Art Union, for a May 19 launch of the album.
In the fall of 2013 the band spent a month in Thailand recording for a new album, planned for release in March 2014.
In 2013, after the wife of the singer of the band Device had pregnancy problems, they had to back down from the tour and Avatar was picked by Avenged Sevenfold to replace Device and continue to tour with them and Five Finger Death Punch.
In January 2010 the music video for the song Queen of Blades was released on the band's website. Blizzard Entertainment mentioned this on their Facebook and Twitter pages, since the song is about the character Sarah Kerrigan from their game Starcraft, giving the band much attention among the game's many fans.
- Johannes Eckerström - vocals
- Jonas Jarlsby - guitars
- Tim Öhrström - guitars
- Henrik Sandelin - bass
- John Alfredsson - drums
- 2003 - Personal Observations
- 2004 - 4 Reasons to Die
- 2011 - Black Waltz EP
- Schlacht reviewed by Groove (Swedish music magazine)
- Avatar reviewed by Hallandsposten (Regional Swedish newspaper)
- Avatar reviewed by Göteborgsposten (Swedish newspaper)
- Avatar reviewed by FuryRocks
- Avatar reviewed by Metal Temple
- Black Waltz reviewed by RockNytt (Swedish)
- Black Waltz reviewed:  by Metalholic
- Sverigetopplistan.se - Veckolista Album - Vecka 44, 1 November 2007 Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- Sverigetopplistan.se - Veckolista Album - Vecka 47, 20 November 2009 Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- Avatar Signs With Sony Music Germany Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- Japan here we come Retrieved 2010-04-30
- Veckolista Album - Vecka 5, 3 februari 2012 Retrieved 2012-02-08
-  Retrieved 2012-02-08
- Avatar: ”Två av våra låtar handlar om Starcraft” Retrieved 2010-02-23.