Baby Face (1926 song)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Music by||Harry Akst|
|Lyrics by||Benny Davis|
|Recorded by||Jan Garber, Al Jolson, The Revelers, Harold Arlen, Little Richard, Elis Regina, Bobby Darin, Wing and a Prayer Fife and Drum Corps, Vampire Rodents|
|Performed by||The Kinks|
"Baby Face" was covered by many recording artists of the time (and since then), including Al Jolson and The Revelers. Swan Districts, an Australian Rules club in the WAFL since 1934, bases its club song on this tune.
Other cover versions
- In 1958, Little Richard peaked at number twelve on the R&B chart and number forty-one on the pop chart with his version of the song.
- In 1962, American singer Bobby Darin recorded a version as a single.
- In 1967, a refrain was mixed with the Hallelujah chorus in Thoroughly Modern Millie.
- In late-1975, disco studio group Wing and a Prayer Fife and Drum Corps recorded a disco version of the song where it peaked at number two for two weeks on the disco chart. This version also went to number thirty-two on the soul chart and number fourteen on the Hot 100 during the winter of 1976.
- In the UK Singles Chart, it peaked at #12, in February 1976, spending 7 weeks within the Top 50.
- Al Jolson performing "Baby Face" on YouTube
- Brenda Lee's version over clips of Judy Garland on YouTube