Bailey, North Carolina
|Bailey, North Carolina|
|• Total||0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2)|
|• Land||0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||223 ft (68 m)|
|• Density||955.8/sq mi (369.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1018899|
Bailey is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 670 people, 274 households, and 184 families residing in the town. The population density was 955.8 people per square mile (369.6/km2). There were 302 housing units at an average density of 430.8 per square mile (166.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 67.91% White, 22.84% African American, 7.46% from other races, and 1.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.75% of the population.
There were 274 households out of which 26.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.6% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 29.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.6% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 18.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,328, and the median income for a family was $43,750. Males had a median income of $33,929 versus $25,179 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,910. About 6.7% of families and 11.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.4% of those under age 18 and 7.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Julius Peppers, defensive end for the NFL's Green Bay Packers
- Jack Finch, conservationist of eastern bluebirds
- Jack Daniel Farmer, Mayor of Bailey 1975-1981, 1983-1994
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.