From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Battus can refer to:
- In Greek mythology, Battus is a shepherd from Pylos. Battus witnessed Hermes, in some cases Mercury, stealing Apollo's cattle. Though he promised his silence, he told many others. Hermes turned him to stone.
- In early Greek history, Battus was the founder of Cyrene, and several kings of Cyrene, of the same name, were descended from him.
- Battus is a genus of swallowtail butterflies, family Papilionidae, subfamily Papilioninae.
- Battus is a junior homonym for a substantial number of agnostid trilobites, now assigned to several other genera.
- Battus is a pseudonym of Dutch author Hugo Brandt Corstius
- Battus was also a certain order of penitents at Avignon, and in Provence, whose piety carried them to exercise severe discipline upon themselves, both in public and private.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Battus.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.