Bearwood is a suburb of the Dorset town of Poole in the UK. Although some think of it being in neighbouring Bournemouth as there is only one access road from the rest of Poole (and several from Bournemouth).
Bearwood is centred on a supermarket and medical and neighbourhood centre in King John Avenue. The area was mainly developed in the 1980s on what had been open heathland. The roads are named after titles of English nobility and people linked to the signing of the Magna Carta. This is derived from the fact that the oldest road in the area, a part of the Wimborne to Bournemouth road, is called Magna Road as it passes through the village of Canford Magna en route. One of the oldest houses was built in 1920. There also is a School and Nursery in the area, Bearwood Primary and Nursery School.
Wilts & Dorset
- Service 11 goes to Poole via Alderney.
- Service 32 was introduced in mid-2011 which goes via Kinson to Bournemouth.
Yellow Buses (RATP Group)
- Service 4a goes to Bournemouth via Kinson, Winton and Bournemouth railway station,
- Service 4d used to come from Wimbourne via Merley to Bournemouth which passes through Bearwood but the current 4d goes through Ferndown instead.
- Service 6 route via Wallisdown to Bournemouth
- Service 27 route which goes to Poole via Alderney since of 3 November is discontinued
- The shoreline 54 goes to Castlepoint via Bournemouth schools.
- Service 50 also offers school services.
- Service 86 provided by RATP Group
- In 2007, the local community centre was re-furbished with new equipment and bar for the youth projects to move to from the St Barnabas Church.
- The local council approved plans for the new Poole Football Stadium in the west of Bearwood off Magna Road.
- The local church was extended and refurbished.
- The local play area was completely rebuilt with an extended area with Zip-wires, Climbing frames and Bike ramps.
- In November The Co-operative Group announced to the community that the Store and Pharmacy was going to be refurbished to a new state-of-the art design.
- King John Avenue, the main road of Bearwood was completely re-surfaced.
- The new Cooperative Food store and Pharmacy opened in late April 2012.
- Bearwood Community Centre and Social club
- Canford Magna Arena, Fireworks Displays, Concerts and other events are regularly held there.
- Canford Magna Golf Club
- Carboot Sale held every Sunday at 1pm next to Canford Magna Arena.
Media related to Bearwood, Dorset at Wikimedia Commons