Bell System Technical Journal
|Bell System Technical Journal|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||Bell Syst. Tech. J.|
|Publisher||American Telephone and Telegraph Company|
|Frequency||Quarterly (1922-1941), Monthly (1941-1983)|
The Bell System Technical Journal was the in-house scientific journal of Bell Labs that was published from 1922 to 1983. It was published quarterly from 1922 to 1941, and then monthly from 1941 to 1983, except for the May/June and July/Aug periods.
- In 1928, Clinton Joseph Davisson published a paper on electron diffraction by nickel crystal, thus unambiguously establishing the wave nature of electron. This discovery led to a widespread acceptance of particle-wave duality of matter and won him the 1937 Nobel Prize in Physics.
- Claude Shannon's paper A Mathematical Theory of Communication, which founded the field of information theory, was published as two-part article in July and October issue of 1948.
- The journal is also notorious for a November 1954 article entitled "In-Band Single-Frequency Signaling" by Weaver and Newell that revealed the internal operation of the long-distance switching system in use at that time. This article enabled phone phreaks to develop the blue box apparatus that manipulated the switching system to allow them to make free long-distance calls.
- The 2009 Nobel Prize physicists Willard Boyle and George E. Smith described their new charge-coupled device in the journal in a 1970 paper.
Below is a list of some of the former editors of this journal.
- 1922 (July) R.W. King 
- 1954 J.D. Tebo 
- 1957 (May) W.D. Bulloch 
- 1959 (January) H.S. Renne 
- 1961 (March) G.E. Schindler, Jr. 
Former indexing services
- Davisson, Clinton J. (January 1928). "The Diffraction of Electrons by a Crystal of Nickel". Bell System Technical Journal: 90–105,. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Shannon, Claude E. (July and October 1948). "A mathematical theory of communication". Bell System Technical Journal: 27:379–423 and 623–656,. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- Ritchie, D.M.; K. Thompson (July–August 1978). "The UNIX Time-Sharing System". Bell System Technical Journal 57 (6). Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- Weaver, A.; N. A. Newell (1954). In-Band Single-Frequency Signaling 33 (6). Retrieved 3 March 2011.
- "Charge coupled semiconductor devices." Bell System Technical Journal, 49(4): 587-93, April 1970.
- "Forward". Bell System Technical Journal (New York City: American Telephone and Telegraph Company) 01 (01): 1–3. July 1922. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- The History of Phone Phreaking. 1954.
- "Annoucement of New Editor". AT & T. Retrieved 2013-01-20.