Benjamin T. Spencer
Benjamin T. (Townley) Spencer (1904–1996) was a scholar of American literature and a professor at Ohio Wesleyan University.
Spencer wrote wodely on American literature and on Shakespeare but is best remembered for his great book, The Quest for American Nationality; An American Literary Campaign (1957.)  In 2008, Robert Milder described it as, “an informed and still eminently serviceable account of the multifront ‘campaign’ for a national literature.” 
- The Quest for Nationality: An American Literary Campaign (1959)
- Patterns of Nationality: Twentieth-Century Literary Versions of America (1981)
- Defining Southern Literature: Perspectives and Assessments, 1831-1952 -, by John Earl Bassett , 1997, p. 398
- American Literary History 2008 20(1-2):156-159
- OWU Online | English | The Benjamin T. Spencer Lecture