|Born||1923 (age 90–91)
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.
|Known for||Designer of the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign|
|Parents||Stephen R. Whithead|
A Las Vegas native, Willis is the daughter of Stephen R, Whitehead, the first assessor of Clark County, Nevada. She went to Los Angeles in 1942 where she attended art school and drew ads for Fox West Coast Theaters. Betty returned to Las Vegas where she first took a job at the courthouse, then worked as a commercial artist before moving on to designing neon sign at Western Neon. It was there that she designed her signature piece, the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign, completed in 1959. Willis never trademarked the design, later saying "It's my gift to the city."
- Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign
- Moulin Rouge Hotel
- Stardust Casino sign
- Buxom Motel Blue Angel sign
- "People & Events". PBS. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- BROWN, PATRICIA LEIGH (2005-01-13). "AT HOME WITH: Betty Willis; A Neon Come-Hither, Still Able to Flirt". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- Katsilometes, John (2008-06-09). "Famed designer Willis never tires of, “What’s your sign?”". Las Vegas Weekly. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- "Home". Moulin Rouge Museum & Cultural Center. Retrieved 2010-03-28.