Bom Jesus funicular
It is the oldest funicular in the world moving by water counterbalancing, loading water into the car at the top of the hill, which weighs it down so it descends to the bottom, at the same time drawing the lighter, drained car up the hill, where the process starts all over again.
The funicular track is 274 metres (899 ft) long and descends / rises 116 metres (381 ft), giving an average gradient of around 42%.
- Length: 274 metres (899 ft)
- Height: 116 metres (381 ft)
- Steepness: 42%
- Journey time: 2.4 to 4 minutes
- Cars: 2
- Capacity: 38 passengers per car
- Track gauge: 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge
- Traction: Water ballast
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elevador do Bom Jesus.|