April 25, 1985 |
Vancouver, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)|
|NHL Draft||239th overall, 2004
Brandon Michael Harry Yip (born April 25, 1985) is a Canadian professional ice hockey right winger currently an unrestricted free agent. He most recently played for the Phoenix Coyotes of the National Hockey League. He is of 3/4 Chinese and 1/4 Irish descent.
Yip was drafted by the Avalanche in the 8th round, 239th overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. He played amateur junior hockey with the Coquitlam Express of the BCHL before enrolling to play collegiate hockey with Boston University of the Hockey East. In his freshman year in 2005–06, Yip scored 31 points in 39 games and was named Hockey East rookie of the year. In his junior year with the Terriers in 2007–08, Yip served an indefinite suspension for breaking team rules before returning to finish with 23 points in 37 games. After winning the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship with the Terriers in his senior year in 2008–09, Yip graduated from Boston University with high honors with a B.S. in criminal justice.
On July 22, 2009, Yip signed a one-year entry level contract with the Avalanche. Prior to his first pro season in 2009–10, Yip suffered a broken hand in a pre-season game that sidelined him for the first two months of the year. He made his professional debut with the Avalanche's American Hockey League affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters, for a six-game stint. He was recalled by Colorado on December 19, 2009, to make his NHL debut in a 5-2 home win against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Yip scored his first goal three days later against Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks. In his first 22 games he scored 11 goals before suffering a separated shoulder against the Detroit Red Wings on March 1, 2010. Yip ended his 2009-10 campaign leading all rookies in goals per game average. After finishing second on the Avalanche in playoff scoring with four points against the San Jose Sharks in the conference quarterfinals, Yip was re-signed to a two-year contract on July 7, 2010. On November 6, 2010 he registered a Gordie Howe hat trick during a 5-0 victory over the Dallas Stars.
During the 2011–12 season, after 10 scoreless games with the Avalanche he was placed on waivers by and claimed by the Nashville Predators on January 19, 2012. On January 24, he had his debut for the Predators in a 3-1 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks. Yip established a role on the Predators lower checking lines, scoring 3 goals, including two in two games against his former club Colorado, and 7 points in 25 games.
He was re-signed by the Predators to a one-year contract on June 21, 2012. In the lockout shortened 2012–13 season, Yip transitioned quickly to contribute 5 points in his first 10 games of the campaign before finishing with 8 points in 34 games. He missed the final 8 games of the year due to injury.
On July 19, 2013, Yip was signed as a free agent by the Phoenix Coyotes to a one-year, two-way contract.
|2009–10||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||6||2||0||2||4||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|All-Hockey East Rookie Team||2005–06|
|HE Rookie of the Year||2006|||
- Frei, Terry (2009-09-12). "Rookie Yip looking to make impression, big club". Denver Post. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "BC, BU dominate Hockey East awards". USCHO.com. 2006-03-16. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- "BU suspends four indefinitely". USCHO.com. 2007-12-06. Retrieved 2010-07-24.
- "Yip signs with NHL's Avalanche". bclocalnews.com. 2009-07-22. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- "Avalanche signs Brandon Yip". Colorado Avalanche. 2009-07-22. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- Joe Nguyen (2010-03-11). "FacetoFace with Colorado Avalanche rookie Brandon Yip". asiaxpress.com. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- Dater, Adrian (2009-12-19). "Yip receives his dream call". Denver Post. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- "Getzlaf lifts Ducks to late win over Avalanche". Yahoo.com. 2009-12-22. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- Terry Frei (2010-04-11). "Avalanche looks for Yip to regain his scoring touch". Denver Post. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Avalanche give Yip two-year , $1.45 million deal". Denver Post. 2010-07-07. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Predators claim Yip off waivers". The Sports Network. 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "Predators 3, Blackhawks 1". Nashville Predators. 2012-01-24. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "Preds sign Brandon Yip to one-year contract". Nashville Predators. 2012-06-21. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Coyotes ink Yip to one-year, two-way deal". The Sports Network. 2013-07-19. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- Brandon Yip's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Brandon Yip's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Brandon Yip's player profile at NHL.com
|Awards and achievements|
|Hockey East Rookie of the Year