Brown Derby (company)
The Brown Derby is a chain of liquor stores located in and around Springfield, Missouri. The first Brown Derby was opened in Springfield in 1937 by John A. Morris. The Brown Derby is famous for being the first retail location for fishing lures and other fishing accessories sold by John L. Morris, the son of the Brown Derby's founder, and the future proprietor of the Springfield-based Bass Pro Shop. John L. Morris began selling fishing and other outdoor products from an 8-foot (2.4 m) by 8-foot (2.4 m) section of his father's store and eventually incorporated Bass Pro Shop in 1972.
The first Brown Derby was opened in 1937 by John A. Morris, the father of John L. Morris, the creator and owner of the outdoor retail store chain Bass Pro Shop. The Brown Derby has grown to boast 19 locations in and around Springfield, Missouri, including the internationally acclaimed Brown Derby International Wine Center located at 2023 S. Glenstone in Springfield.
International Wine Center
The Brown Derby International Wine Center was opened in 1969, but started to gain international renown after Ron Junge, the son-in-law of founder John A. Morris joined the business in 1971. Now, over three decades later, Ron Junge, along with his son-in-law Brad Feuerbacher and knowledgeable cellarmaster Scott Gargus have established the Brown Derby International Wine Center as one of America's top 10 wine retailers. The Brown Derby International Wine Center boasts a 5,000-square-foot (460 m2) temperature and humidity controlled wine cellar, which houses over 70,000 bottles of wine that date back to the late 1800s. In addition to wine, the Brown Derby International Wine Center hosts an extensive range of beers, various crafts including scented candles and hand soaps, plus a deli section, which includes a comprehensive selection of international cheeses.
Awards and recognition
- "Best Website" - 2012 Market Watch Leaders Awards
- One of "America's Top Wine Shops" in Food & Wine Magazine's Official Wine Guide 2000.
- Member of the Wine & Spirits Guild of America since 1958
- "One of America's 10 Best Retailers" Liquor Store Magazine
- "One of America's 12 Best Retailers" Market Watch Magazine
- "One of the Top 10 Retailers" Wine & Spirits Magazine
- Dummit, Chris. (May 14, 1995) Palm Beach Post Why the fuss to hook Bass Pro? Sport paradise would lure tourists." Page 1A.
- Walker, Larry (August 1995) Wines & Vines The retail scene - wine. Volume 76; Issue 8; page 18.
- Waters, Steve. (November 16, 1998) South Florida Sun-Sentinel Bass is business, for fun and profit. Section: Sports; Page 1D.
- Sasser, Ray. (March 21, 1999) The Dallas Morning News Geared for success: Johnny Morris, whose sixth Outdoor World superstore opens this week in Grapevine, has turned his passion into a sporting goods empire. Section: Sports day; Page 26B.
- The Fort Worth Star-Telegram (February 20, 2005) Beyond Branson: So near the show-biz glitz and yet so far, Big Cedar Lodge is the place to kick back and enjoy nature. Just ask Bass Pro Shops founder John Morris. Page: H1.
- Tackett, Paul. (June 21, 2006) Tulsa World Fishy business. Section: Community; Page 1.