Cover of BUTT 23 (Spring 2008)
|Editors||Gert Jonkers and Jop van Bennekom|
|First issue||Spring 2001|
The magazine, originating in the Netherlands, features interviews, articles, and advertisements and illuminates upon trends and lifestyles within the male homosexual community.
The magazine has published photography and interviews with renowned gay artists, and became well-known with its very first issue, which showed German fashion designer Bernhard Willhelm in nude portraits taken by Wolfgang Tillmans. Since its first issue in May 2001, BUTT has featured international gay artists such as Casey Spooner, Michael Stipe, John Waters, Heinz Peter Knes, Edmund White, Terence Koh, Walter Pfeiffer, and Slava Mogutin.
Submissions are unrestricted, as readers may send in interviews, letters, photographs, or articles. Subscribers are referred to as "BUTTHEADs" and may join the BUTTHEAD community officially through the magazine's website.
The magazine can be found worldwide. In the United States and the United Kingdom, it is available in American Apparel stores, among other places.
BUTT has been praised for its unabashed sexual and non-sexual portrayals of men, which emphasize equal opportunity in depictions of all peoples in print. In addition, the magazine has been lauded even by women for its unique, candid approach to interviews, which may be done by anyone.
- Jonkers, Gert; van Bennekom, Jop (2008). "About BUTT Magazine". BUTT. Retrieved 3 April 2008.
- Hornyn, Cathy (2008-03-09). "Double Dutch". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- McClear, Sheila. "Finally, a Chance for Fully-Splayed Men" Gawker, February 5, 2008. Accessed 3 April 2008.
- AMP "Why I Love BUTT Magazine" AMP Minizine, 2008. Accessed 3 April 2008.
- James, Mark. "Are You a BUTT Man?" Gay.com Style, 2006. Accessed 3 April 2008.
|This article about a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender related magazine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.