Cactus High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Cactus High School|
Everything but Ordinary
|6330 W. Greenway Road, Glendale, Arizona, United States of America
|Enrollment||1,397 (October 1, 2012)|
|Color(s)||Columbia Blue and Silver|
|Athletics conference||AIA 4A Conference|
|Rivals||Peoria High School|
Cactus High School is a public secondary school located in Glendale, Arizona, United States, part of the Peoria Unified School District. The school opened its doors in August 1977. It is the district's smallest high school, with approximately 1,400 students.
The song is set to tune of Northwestern University's fight song.
Go Cactus High School, On to Victory. Hail the Blue and Silver, we'll defend our dignity Fight mighty Cobras, keep our spirits high Show all the rest, that we are the best We'll fight forever, Cactus High CHS! CHS! CHS! CHS!
The high school's first band director, Jim Lynch, wrote the lyrics in 1978. In 1978, the first Cactus High School students, 1980 graduates, transferred from Peoria High School's campus during their Sophomore year into the current building. Mr. James Lynch was highly regarded and talented.
- Football: State Championship in 2005 after three straight appearances; State Championship in 2009, after losing in the playoffs for two years
- Volleyball: State Championship in 2006 season; Runner-Up in 2008 and in 2009
- Boys Swim and Dive
- Girls Swim and Dive: 2009 4A-II state champion diver Katie Dallman
- Boys Cross Country: West Valley Region Championship in 2007 season (No losses but one tie during regular season 15-0-1).
- Girls Cross Country: West Valley Region Championship in 2007 season.
- Boys Golf: 1987 State Champions as a team (the 1st in school history) and Robert Parker won the individual state championship after finishing fourth in the 1985 and 1986. 2009 State Runners up as a team and Individual Kale Davidson finished 2 in state.
- Girls Golf
- Boys Basketball: State Championship in 1994, State Tournament Appearances in 2006 (12 seed—lost in first round) and 2008 (15 seed---upset 2 seed Sandra Day O'Connor High School but lost to 10 seed Paradise Valley High School in second round)
- Girls Basketball: 5 total State Championships under coach Jim Graham.
- Boys Soccer: Six State Championships and Eighteen Region Championships under coach Jack Altersitz, a member of the Arizona Coaches Hall of Fame.
- Girls Soccer: Multiple State Championships
- Baseball: 2009 region championship; lost in 4A-I state title game to Canyon del Oro High School
- Softball: National Championship in 2006 season.
- Boys Track
- Girls Track: Back-to-back state championships in 2007 and 2008 (2008 title won with only 7 athletes participating in state meet)
- Boys Tennis
- Girls Tennis
Cactus supports all of its clubs and after school activities including Chess Club, DECA, Key Club, Improv Club, Drama Club, 500 Mile Club, World Languages Club, FCCLA, Media Club, FBLA, Med Start, Key of C, Outdoor Adventure Club, Student Council, NHS, AFJROTC, Athletic Training, Clay Club, Robotics, Environmental Club, Mind's Eye.
Many of these organizations have received state and national recognition for their work.
- Kyle Kosier: Offensive lineman (NFL) Free Agent
- Brandon McDonald: Midfielder, Real Salt Lake (Major League Soccer)
- Joe Riggs: Welterweight (Bellator)
- Zach Minter: Defensive Tackle (NFL) Free Agent