McAuliffe at the Chivas Regal GQ Men of the Year Awards, November 2012
|Born||Callan Ryan Claude McAuliffe
24 January 1995
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Callan Ryan Claude McAuliffe (born 24 January 1995) is an Australian actor known for his roles as Bryce Loski in the American feature film Flipped and also Sam Goode in I Am Number Four. He appeared as young Gatsby in the 2013 film The Great Gatsby. McAuliffe is also the Youth Ambassador of Wolf Connection, a non-profit organization based in California which rescues wolves and wolf-dogs and also a youth education and empowerment program.
Life and career
McAuliffe is a native of the Sydney suburb of Clontarf, New South Wales. He is the son of Claudia Keech and Roger McAuliffe, who is a novelist, journalist, and director of Creative Writer. His cousin is actress Jacinta John. His grandparents were Irish. He attended The Scots College, an all-boy day and boarding school. He was the head chorister at the school and topped the London Trinity musical theatre exams and scored high distinction in 2008. He was a track athlete until he got injured, leading him to a stronger focus on the performing arts.
McAuliffe started acting at the age of 8, appeared in the local Australian TV series Comedy Inc. and Blue Water High, and had a recurring role on Packed to the Rafters. He starred in the Australian independent coming-of-age short film, "Franswa Sharl", in 2009 and had a role in Resistance, a U.S./Australian feature film, that year. McAuliffe made his American feature debut in the Warner Bros. film, Flipped, directed by Rob Reiner. He auditioned for the film while on vacation in the United States and won the role of Bryce, the romantic lead. The film is based on the 2001 novel of the same title by Wendelin Van Draanen.
In May 2010, McAuliffe was cast in a lead role in the science fiction film, I Am Number Four based on the novel of the same title by Pittacus Lore, the film is produced by Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay. He played Sam, the best friend of Alex Pettyfer's title character, Number Four. The D.J. Caruso-directed film began production in Pittsburgh in May 2010 and was released in the United States on 18 February 2011. McAuliffe filmed the Australian TV miniseries, Cloudstreet, based on the novel of the same title by Tim Winton. McAuliffe plays the lead, Quick Lamb, a young teenager. McAuliffe appeared as young Gatsby in the 2013 film adaptation of The Great Gatsby, directed by Baz Luhrmann; Leonardo DiCaprio played the older version of Gatsby.
McAuliffe was cast as the archangel Uriel alongside Djimon Hounsou in Alex Proyas' action film, Paradise Lost, before the project was suspended. In 2012, he starred in the Australian television Movie, Underground: The Julian Assange Story, as one of the teenage Assange's friends involved in the International Subversives. In 3 February 2013, Variety had announced that Callan will play alongside Samuel L. Jackson and India Eisley in the live-action movie remake of 1998 Japanese anime film Kite. Filming began on 26 February 2013 in South Africa.
|2007||Comedy Inc.||Callum McAuliffe||TV Series, 4 episodes|
|2008||Blue Water High||Ben||TV Series, 1 episode|
|2009||Franswa Sharl||Greg Logan||Short film|
|Packed to the Rafters||Rhys||TV Series, 2 episodes|
|2010||Flipped||Bryce Loski||Sharing lead credit with Madeline Carroll|
|2011||Cloudstreet||Young Quick Lamb||TV miniseries|
|I Am Number Four||Sam Goode|
|2012||Underground: The Julian Assange Story||Prime Suspect||Television Movie|
|2013||The Great Gatsby||Young Jay Gatsby|
|Beneath the Harvest Sky (also known as "Blue Potato") ||Dominic|
|Our Robot Overlords||Sean Flynn||Filming|
- "Wolf Connection Youth Ambassador". Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Marcus, Caroline (3 May 2009). "Starry potential shines". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Sams, Christine (25 October 2009). "Hollywood flips out over Callan". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- "Roger McAuliffe - Australia". LinkedIn.
- Bodey, Michael (19 July 2010). "Aussie Callan McAuliffe joins the Hollywood rush". The Australian. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- Fernandez, Jay A. (7 June 2009). "Callan McAuliffe joins 'Flipped' cast". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 24 June 2010.[dead link]
- "Callan McAuliffe cast in U.S. action flick". UPI.com. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Pener, Degen (3 November 2011). "Q&A: Callan McAuliffe On His Mission to Save Wolfdogs". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- "Callan McAuliffe, India Eisley to co-star in 'Kite'". Variety.
- McNary, Dave (31 July 2012). "McAuliffe digs up 'Blue Potato'". Variety. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "Beneath the Harvest Sky casts". Retrieved 19 August 2013.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Callan McAuliffe|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Callan McAuliffe.|