Careful, He Might Hear You
|Careful, He Might Hear You|
|Directed by||Carl Schultz|
|Produced by||Jill Robb|
|Written by||Sumner Locke Elliott (novel)
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox (US)|
|Box office||$2,431,126 (Australia)|
The film stars Wendy Hughes and Robyn Nevin as two sisters who are locked in a custody battle over their young nephew, PS, played by Nicholas Gledhill. PS has been raised by his aunt Lila (Nevin) and her husband George since his mother died soon after his birth. When Lila's richer sister Vanessa returns from overseas, she seeks custody of PS, citing the opportunities she can give him.
There had long been interest in making a film out of the novel. In the 1960s it was announced that Joshua Logan would direct a movie version starring Elizabeth Taylor but this did not eventuate. Film rights to the novel were bought by Jill Robb who hired Mike Jenkins to adapt the screenplay and Carl Schultz to direct. Funding was obtained from the New South Wales Film Corporation among others.
A Collector's Edition of Careful, He Might Hear You was released on DVD with a new print by Umbrella Entertainment in June 2008. The DVD is compatible with all region codes and includes special features such as the trailer, bonus trailers, still gallery, an interview with Sumner Locke Elliot and interviews with Wendy Hughes, Nicholas Gledhill and Jill Robb.
A regular edition of the film with reduced special features was released on DVD by Umbrella Entertainment in October 2008.
- David Stratton, The Avocado Plantation: Boom and Bust in the Australian Film Industry, Pan MacMillan, 1990 p181-183
- Film Victoria - Australian Films at the Australian Box Office
- "Umbrella Entertainment". Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Careful, He Might Hear You at the National Film and Sound Archive
- Careful He Might Hear You at Oz Movies
- Careful, He Might Hear You at the Internet Movie Database
- Careful, He Might Hear You at Anything Oz or New Zealand Films site
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1980s drama film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|