Carlos Villanueva (baseball)
While with the Toronto Blue Jays
St. Louis Cardinals – No. 33
November 28, 1983 |
Santiago, Dominican Republic
|May 23, 2006 for the Milwaukee Brewers|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.26|
Carlos Manuel Villanueva Paulino (born November 28, 1983) is a Dominican professional baseball pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has played in MLB for the Milwaukee Brewers, Toronto Blue Jays and Chicago Cubs.
As he worked his way through the Brewers' farm system, Villanueva was called up to the Brewers from Double-A Huntsville on May 22, 2006. He made his Major League debut against the Cincinnati Reds on May 23, 2006, pitching a scoreless inning. After being optioned back to the minors, Villanueva was recalled again, making his first career Major League start for the Brewers against the Cincinnati Reds.
After a successful 2006 campaign, Villanueva entered the 2007 spring training in competition for the Brewers fifth spot in the starting rotation. Despite pitching well, he lost the job to Claudio Vargas. Instead, manager Ned Yost elected to put Villanueva into the bullpen as a middle relief pitcher. Villanueva pitched well in his new role and was occasionally used as a long relief pitcher when Elmer Dessens was placed on the DL. On July 2, Villanueva was 6-0 with a 2.64 ERA. Despite his record, Villanueva was accustomed to only being used as a starting pitcher, and had never appeared in more than 25 games in his professional career. Through July and August, he posted a 1-3 record with an ERA of over 9, perhaps a sign of being overworked. Despite his struggles, he was still being used as a middle relief pitcher. On August 20, after pitching 3 perfect innings against the Arizona Diamondbacks and picking up his first career save, he was optioned to the Triple-A Nashville Sounds to make two starts to "polish up" for a September call up when the rosters expand.
Toronto Blue Jays
After starting the season in the bullpen for the Blue Jays, he was moved to a position in the starting rotation to fill in for open spots previously filled by Brett Cecil and Jesse Litsch. On August 4, 2011, Villanueva was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain. Villanueva was re-activated from the disabled list on August 31. Brian Tallet was designated for assignment to make room for Villanueva. Villanueva began the 2012 season as the long reliever in the Jays' bullpen, but was promoted to a starter after numerous injuries to the pitching staff. After posting a 6-1 record, Villanueva left the team for personal reasons on August 5. J. A. Happ started in place of Villanueva.
On December 19, 2012, it was reported that Villanueva had agreed a two-year, $10 million contract with the Chicago Cubs. The deal became official on January 26, 2013, more than a month after it was initially agreed upon. Lendy Castillo was designated for assignment to make room for Villanueva on the 40-man roster. Dale Sveum made Villanueva the Cubs fifth starter in their rotation. His first game on April 6, a road game against the Atlanta Braves, resulted in a no decision.
St. Louis Cardinals
On February 4, 2015, the St. Louis Cardinals signed Villanueva to a minor league contract that included an invitation to spring training. The Cards added him to their 40-man roster on March 30.
- Eymer, Rick (March 2, 2013). "Sandoval homers in Giants win". Associated Press. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- Callis, Jim (March 30, 2004). "Giants shore up pitching with Franklin, Estrella". Baseball America. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Giants acquire Franklin and Estrella from Milwaukee for 2 minor leaguers". MLB.com. March 30, 2004. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- McCalvy, Adam. Hoffman getting closer to mound work, Milwaukee Brewers. Published April 11, 2009. Retrieved April 23, 2009.
- Coffey closing, but cool with any role, Milwaukee Brewers. Published April 23, 2009. Retrieved April 23, 2009.
- Chisholm, Gregor (December 3, 2010). "Blue Jays acquire Villanueva from Brewers". MLB.com. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "Jays activate Villanueva, designate Tallet for assignment". TSN.ca. August 31, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Fletcher, Jeff (August 5, 2012). "Blue Jays move up Happ as Villanueva takes leave". Bluejays.com. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Snyder, Matt. "Cubs, Carlos Villanueva agree to 2-year, 10 million deal". Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- Yellon, Al (January 26, 2013). "Carlos Villanueva Deal Official, Lendy Castillo DFAd". Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Sheldon, Mark (February 4, 2015). "Cards add righty Villanueva on Minor League deal". MLB.com. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- White, R.J. (March 30, 2015). "Cardinals add Carlos Villanueva, place Jaime Garcia on DL". CBSSports.com. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)