Carol I (film)
|Directed by||Sergiu Nicolaescu|
|Produced by||MediaPro Pictures|
|Written by||Ion Bulei, Stelian Turlea Sergiu Nicolaescu, Emil Slotea|
|Running time||90 minutes|
Carol I, also known as Charles I: A Destiny and Charles I: A Destiny for Romania, is a 2009 historical documentary film by Romanian director Sergiu Nicolaescu, starring Sergiu Nicolaescu, Razvan Vasilescu and Cristian Motiu.
Carol I is one of the few Romanian films to portray the Romanian king Carol I. The king was also portrayed in the 1912 film Independenţa României (The Independence of Romania), directed by Aristide Demetriade, and in the 2007 film "The Rest is Silence". The director of "Carol I", Sergiu Nicolaescu, previously played Carol I in his 1977 film, Pentru patrie.
The film begins in the summer of 1914. At 75 years old, King Carol I, the founder of modern Romania, is living a quiet life at the Peleş Castle. He has by his side Queen Elisabeth, his devoted wife and friend.
The King faces the pains of age with sobriety, although these do not compare to his morale kneadings.[clarification needed] Carol I is in a tough position; his family roots dictate that he should enter World War I alongside Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, but public opinion calls for Romania to remain neutral.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (May 2011)|
- "Carol I (2009)" (in Romanian). Cinemagia.ro. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Carol I at the TCM Movie Database
- "Note De Productie – Carol I – Un Destin" [Production Notes - Carol I - A Destiny] (in Romanian). Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "Carol I aka Carol I - Un Destin pentru Romania" [Carol I aka Charles I - A Destiny for Romania] (in Romanian). Cinefan.ro. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Carol I at the Internet Movie Database
- "Sergiu Nicolaescu’s film "Carol I" to have its gala premiere on May 9". Nineoclock.ro. 28 April 2009. Retrieved 3 May 2011.