Category talk:Computer storage
|WikiProject Computing||(Rated Category-class)|
Merging of subcategories
I suggest we merge the two subcats Category:Computer storage devices and Category:Computer storage media into one cat Category:Computer storage technology, which would have the subcats "Tape based computer storage", "Rotating disc computer storage", and "Solid-state computer storage". That way we may include the storage devices with the media, which will not lead to confusion as I see it. Rather, it will be a better scheme of categorisation, as it lets us divide the technologies from each other in a simpler and more intuitive way. --Wernher 06:46, 30 Nov 2004 (UTC)
I completely agree with this recommended merge and change. The current sorting is not very friendly. Music Sorter (talk) 06:21, 1 June 2010 (UTC)
- I have spent more time understanding categories and how they interact with other categories. The above proposal is not exactly what I would support. Reading through the topic Wikipedia:Categorization_and_subcategories#Subcategorization I know realize it would be better to have all of the above sub categories exist and report to the main category "Computer Storage." The reason for this is because as was noted many of the articles can cross over between these different categories. It would be better for the individual articles to report up directly to the different subcategories. This way readers can find articles dependent upon what category they start. § Music Sorter § (talk) 21:53, 25 July 2010 (UTC)
Computer memory = Computer storage?
- I disagree: usage of the terms, at least in the U.S., is fairly clearly divided, with memory for main-memory-like or faster things, and storage for disk-like, slower, usually persistent things. Having two categories is useful, too, because there are many entries in the categories, and thus the things listed in each are more likely to be relevant to someone examining the category contents. -R. S. Shaw 20:46, 1 May 2005 (UTC)
- I also disagree with this proposed merger. These categories are different, but certainly related. I believe the current pages reflect changes since this original proposal that help readers understand the difference. § Music Sorter § (talk) 21:56, 25 July 2010 (UTC)
Sort error in sub category for "Computer storage devices"
I noticed there is a sort error in the sub category for "Computer storage:Computer storage devices" as it is sorting under D and not C. I don't know how to fix it.
- [+] Computer storage devices (5 C, 92 P)
- [+] Digital data storage formats (2 C, 1 P)
- I found the problem. When the Default sort on a page is set to something other than the name of the page, the link for the page will sort to the default sort when displayed on the parent category page. Also if the link to the category pipes to anything, that text is the sort order for that page on its parent. § Music Sorter § (talk) 05:01, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
Resist adding the category "Computer Memory" as a parent or child of "Computer Storage"
These two categories are different enough that they need to co-exist. The current pages for each of these use the alternate technique of a horizontal reference covered in Wikipedia:Categorization_and_subcategories#Subcategorization. § Music Sorter § (talk) 22:00, 25 July 2010 (UTC)