|Origin||San Diego, United States|
|Genres||Deathgrind, death metal, goregrind|
|Labels||Metal Blade, Three One G|
|Associated acts||The Locust|
|Past members||Michael Laughlin
Cattle Decapitation is an American deathgrind band from San Diego, California, formed in 1996. The band's current line-up includes Travis Ryan (vocals), Josh Elmore (guitar), Dave McGraw (drums), and Derek Engemann (bass guitar). Cattle Decapitation has released six albums, their most recent being Monolith of Inhumanity (2012).
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
Originally founded in 1996, Cattle Decapitation's songs protest the mistreatment and consumption of animals, the abuse of the environment and touch subjects such as misanthropy and genocide of the human race. Much of their music is based on putting humans in the situations that animals are subjected to (animal testing, slaughter, etc.). While the band started with an entirely vegetarian lineup, only two current members are vegetarian: Travis Ryan and Josh Elmore.
Their 2002 album To Serve Man saw controversy in Germany, where distribution company SPV refused to handle the album due to its graphic cover. The cover of the 2004 album Humanure, featuring a cow excreting human remains, was reportedly censored without permission from the label in some outlets. Record store owners did not display the album, making it difficult for customers to find and buy it.
Metal author and journalist Garry Sharpe-Young once acknowledged the band as "one of the few metal bands whose message hits as hard as their music".
In August 2009, Cattle Decapitation parted ways with long-time bassist Troy Oftedal because of "musical and personal differences". Cattle Decapitation's latest album, Monolith of Inhumanity, was released in 2012. It received positive reviews upon release.
Cattle Decapitation has toured with many death metal bands including, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, The Black Dahlia Murder, Deicide, Behemoth, Hate Eternal, Krisiun and Job for a Cowboy. The band also participated in Metal Blade Record's Scion A/V Showcase in late 2012.
|Date of Release||Title||Label|
|1996||Ten Torments of the Damned (demo)||Self-released|
|1999||Human Jerky (EP)||Three One G|
|2000||Homovore||Three One G|
|2000||¡Decapitacion! (EP)||Accident Prone|
|2002||To Serve Man||Metal Blade Records|
|2004||Humanure||Metal Blade Records|
|2005||Cattle Decapitation / Caninus (split EP)||War Torn Records|
|2006||Karma.Bloody.Karma||Metal Blade Records|
|2009||The Harvest Floor||Metal Blade Records|
|2012||Monolith of Inhumanity||Metal Blade Records|
- Travis Ryan – vocals (1997–present)
- Josh Elmore – guitar (2001–present)
- Dave McGraw – drums (2008–present)
- Derek Engemann – bass guitar (2010–present)
- Scott Miller – guitar, vocals (1996)
- Gabe Serbian – guitar, drums (1996–2001)
- Dave Astor – drums, bass (1996–2003)
- Michael Laughlin – drums (2003–2007)
- Troy Oftedal – bass (1998–2009)
- Kevin Talley – live drums (2006)
- Rahsaan Davis – live bass (2009)
- Metal: The Definitive Guide, page 169
- Sanford, Jay Allen (2008-11-19). "Cattle Decapitation Veggie Burgers, plus Assassin Strikes Again, History of San Diego Music Parts 1 thru 7". San Diego Reader. Retrieved 2008-121-9.
- "Cattle Decapitation: Humanure Album Cover 'Censored'". Blabbermouth.net. 2004-08-30. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- metalweb interview