Cecil Edward Bingham
|Cecil Edward Bingham|
|Born||7 December 1861|
|Died||31 May 1934|
|Commands held||2nd Cavalry Brigade
4th Cavalry Brigade
1st Cavalry Division
|Battles/wars||Second Boer War
First World War
|Awards||Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order
Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George
Companion of the Order of the Bath
Born the son of Charles Bingham, 4th Earl of Lucan, Bingham was commissioned into the 3rd The King's Own Hussars in 1882 and transferred to the 2nd Regiment of Life Guards in 1886 and the 1st Regiment of Life Guards in 1892. He served in the Second Boer War in 1900 as Aide-de-camp to Major-General John French, commanding the Cavalry division. After returning home, he became senior aide-de-Camp to the Duke of Connaught during his Indian Tour in 1903. He was appointed Commander of the 2nd Cavalry Brigade in November 1910 and Commander of the 4th Cavalry Brigade in November 1911. He served in World War I as Commander of the 4th Cavalry Brigade for the British Expeditionary Force and then as General Officer Commanding 1st Cavalry Division from May to October 1915. In November 1916 he was appointed to command 73rd Division, a formation composed of Home Service men of the Territorial Force, which was stationed in Essex and Hertfordshire for coastal defence. He relinquished this command in April 1917.
- Lieutenant-Colonel Ralph Charles Bingham, DSO, Coldstream Guards, born 15 April 1885.
- Lieutenant David Cecil Bingham, Coldstream Guards, born 18 March 1887, killed in action in France 14 September 1914.
- Cecilia Mary Lavinia Bingham, born 19 April 1893, married Colonel Frederick George Beaumont-Nesbitt, Grenadier Guards and died 26 August 1920.
- The Peerage.com
- Burke's Peerage and Baronetage.
- Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
- The London Gazette: . 8 February 1901.
- Army Commands
- Maj A.F. Becke,History of the Great War: Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 1: The Regular British Divisions, London: HM Stationery Office, 1934/Uckfield: Naval & Military Press, 2007, ISBN 1-847347-38-X.
- Maj A.F. Becke,History of the Great War: Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 2b: The 2nd-Line Territorial Force Divisions (57th–69th), with the Home-Service Divisions (73rd–74th) and 74th and 75th Divisions, London: HM Stationery Office, 1937/Uckfield: Naval & Military Press, 2007, ISBN 1-847347-39-8.