Charles Bridges, MA (1794 - 1869), was a preacher and theologian in the Church of England, and a leader of that denomination's Evangelical Party. As a preacher he was well regarded by his contemporaries, but is remembered today for his literary contributions.
Education and ministry
'My excellent friend, the Rev. Charles Bridges, of Old Newton, Suffolk, finds, I am sure, most ample occupation among those six hundred people whom he may be said to have domesticated into one parochial family; and, were it not for his still more important services to the Christian church at large, would show, by his incessant labours, how possible it were to make out a most beneficial expenditure of all his strength and all his time amongst them.'
In 1849, he became vicar of Weymouth, Dorset, later serving as vicar of Hinton Martell, Dorset (c. 1857). Bridges participated (with J. C. Ryle) in the Clerical Conference at Weston-super-Mare of 1858, and also participated in the consecration of the Bishop of Carlisle in York Minster in 1860.
At least twenty-four editions of Bridges' Exposition of Psalm 119 (1827) were published in his lifetime. C. H. Spurgeon considered the commentary to be 'worth its weight in gold'. Spurgeon also pronounced Bridges' Exposition of Proverbs (1840) 'The best work on the Proverbs'.
Exposition of Psalm 119 (1827)
The Christian Ministry (1829)
Memoir of Mary Jane Graham (c. 1834)
Forty-eight Scriptural Studies (1837)
Exposition of Proverbs (1840)
A Manual for the Young (1849)
Exposition of Ecclesiastes (1860)
Correspondence (posthumous, 1870)
- "Pastoral Book Reviews: The Christian Ministry". A Puritan’s Mind. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- "Psalm 119: Product Description". Christianbook.com. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- Bridges, C 1961 A commentary on Ecclesiastes, The Banner of Truth Trust, Edinburgh (from biographical information on rear cover).
- "Bridges, Charles (BRGS812C)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "On the Right Ecclesiastical Economy of a Large Town". Thomas Chalmers: Sermons and Writings. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- "Exposition of Psalm 119: Preface". Grace Gems. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- "Bridges, John Henry". Royal College of Physicians. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- Bridges, C Exposition of Proverbs, The Banner of Truth Trust, Edinburgh (from biographical information on rear cover).
- Exposition of Psalm 119
- The Christian Ministry
- A Memoir of Miss Mary Jane Graham
- Forty-eight Scriptural Studies
- Exposition of Proverbs
- Exposition of the Book of Ecclesiastes