Charles Chusseau-Flaviens was a French independent photojournalist of the ca. 1890s to 1910s. His distribution of other photographer's work for publication created one of the first photo press agencies, located at 46 Rue Bayen, Paris. Chusseau-Flaviens' by-line appeared on numerous photographs from every European country as well as from Africa, the Middle East, the Orient and the United States. Subject matter included intimate portraits of European royalty, political figures and celebrities in addition to everyday life. According to researchers, no biographical information about Chusseau-Flaviens is known.
A substantial portion of his photographic collection, represented by nearly 11,000 glass negatives, was donated by Kodak Pathé to the George Eastman House (GEH) International Museum of Photography and Film in 1974. GEH noted that Chusseau-Flaviens also acquired copies of photographs from other photographers, annotating their names on his glass negatives. They speculated that this accounts for the inclusion of photographs in his collection from various far-flung nations, such as Japan and New Zealand. According to the French Ministry of Culture, his release of the other photographer's work under the Chusseau-Flaviens name created the first photographic press agency of the 20th century.
Countries represented by photographs in the GEH collection include: Algeria, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Ceylon, China, Denmark, Djibouti, Egypt, England, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Majorca, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Palestine, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, United States and Yugoslavia. Due to the relative lack of photographs representing France, it has been speculated that a large collection of Chusseau-Flaviens' work remains undiscovered.
- Gervais, Thierry (November 6, 2007). L'Illustration Photographique (in French). École des hautes études en sciences sociales (doctoral thesis). pp. 284–316.
- Dimock, George (September 2001). "The Sunset of the Old World: A Portfolio from the Work of C. Chusseau Flaviens" (PDF). Image 21 (1): 1.
- Eskind, A. (September 2001). "Ch. Chusseau-Flaviens". George Eastman House Collection. www.geh.org.
- "Collection photographique de Charles Chusseau-Flaviens" (PDF). Patrimoine Numerique. www.numerique.culture.fr.
- "The Illustrated London News 1903". The London Llustrated News. iln.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "1909 King Peter War Map Photograph Chusseau Flaviens". Amazon.com. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Finding Aid for Ch. Chusseau-Flaviens Collection at George Eastman House
- Selected photos by Chusseau-Flaviens at Flickr Commons
- Musee D'Orsay collection of Chusseau-Flaviens photos
- Bibliothèque Marguerite Durand collection of Chusseau-Flaviens photos
- Digitized works by Charles Chusseau-Flaviens in Biblioteca Digital Hispánica, Biblioteca Nacional de España