Chris Anderson (entrepreneur)
Chris Anderson (born 1957) is the curator of TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design), which hosts conferences in North America and Europe each year and an open-access website where TED talks can be viewed by the public. Previously he founded Future Publishing.
Life and career
Anderson was born in Pakistan in 1957, one of three children. His parents were medical missionaries, and he spent most of his early life in Pakistan, India and Afghanistan. He studied at a boarding school in the Himalayan mountains of India, Woodstock School, before moving to a boarding school in Bath, UK. At Oxford University, he studied Physics, then changed to Politics, Philosophy and Economics, to eventually graduate in 1978.
Anderson began a career in journalism, working on local newspapers, then producing a world news service in the Seychelles, and later working as an editor first on Personal Computer Games, then on Zzap!64, both early computer magazines. In 1985, he launched a publishing company devoted initially to hobbyist computer magazines, Future Publishing (based in Somerton and then Bath, UK), which rapidly grew, expanding into other areas, such as cycling, music, video games, technology, and design, going public in 1999. In 1994, Anderson moved to the San Francisco Bay Area and continued to launch magazines including Business 2.0. Future grew to more than 130 magazines and more than 1,500 employees.
In 2001, Anderson left Future and, through his non-profit foundation, acquired TED. Under his stewardship, the mission of TED shifted to "ideas worth spreading". As of February 2014, 1,658 talks are available free online. By January 2009 they had been viewed 50 million times. In June 2011, the viewing figure stood at more than 500 million, and on Tuesday, November 13, 2012, TED Talks had been watched one billion times worldwide, reflecting a still growing global audience. He also oversaw introduction of the TED Prize, the TED Fellows Program, the TED open translation program, TED-Ed and the TEDx program, allowing hundreds of independently organized TED-like events to be held around the world. Anderson spoke about the power of visual media at TED Global 2010 and its central role in the future of internet-based learning.
- "Chris Anderson - TED Curator". Speaker Page. TED. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "TED Talks List". Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- Mashable, TED profile
- TED reaches its billionth video view!, TED Blog, 13 November 2012. Accessed 2012-11-21.
- BBC News article - Tribute to daughter 'poisoned by carbon monoxide'. 31 January 2011. Accessed 2011-01-31
- Chris Anderson's TED Talk on Crowd Accelerated Innovation
- Chris Anderson shares his vision for TED. TED talk 2002 before Anderson takes over curation. Accessed 2010-07-18
- Essay on A Web-Empowered Revolution in Teaching, section by Anderson. The Edge. Accessed 2010-07-18
- Essay on The Rediscovery of 'Fire'. Accessed 2010-07-18
- Transcript of Anderson's talk on 'Global Souls'. Accessed 2010-07-18