Christian M. M. Brady
Christian M. M. Brady (born 1968) is an American targumist, Jewish studies scholar and academic. He is Dean of the Schreyer Honors College, Penn State University and is an Associate Professor of Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies and Jewish Studies. He was formerly Associate Professor of Classical Studies and Jewish Studies at Tulane University (1997–2006). His administrative roles at Tulane included Director of the Jewish Studies Program (1998-2003) and Director of the Honors Program (2004–2006).
Brady's specialization is in biblical literature, rabbinic literature, and the targumim, especially Targum Lamentations and Targum Ruth. He is the author of The Rabbinic Targum of Lamentations: Vindicating God, as well as several articles, book chapters and presentations in the field.
Raised in Montgomery Village, Maryland, Brady went to high school in Damascus, Maryland, received a B.A. from Cornell University in History and Near Eastern Studies and was the first-ever minor in Religious Studies, an M.A. from Wheaton College, Illinois in Biblical and Theological Studies, and a graduate diploma in Jewish Studies from the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies at the University of Oxford and a D.Phil. in Oriental Studies from the University of Oxford. He was a member of St Cross College. His first post-doctoral appointment was to Tulane University.
Dr. Brady enjoys living in State College with his wife, Elizabeth, and daughter Isabel (Izzy). His son Mack died aged 8 on December 31, 2012, of a sudden bacterial infection, prompting an outpouring of sympathy from the local community.
Blog and podcasts
For the dean’s latest thoughts on life at the Schreyer Honors College, see his dynamic blog and podcasts. The podcasts feature engaging conversations with Scholars, his State of the College address, and his vision for the future of the honors college.
Brady is a regular guest on the podcast "Real Tech for Real People" talking about issues of general tech and technology in education.
- Brady, Christian M.M. “Targum Lamentations’ Reading of the Book of Lamentations” (1MB pdf), Doctoral Thesis, Oxford, 2000.
- Brady, Christian M.M. The Rabbinic Targum of Lamentations: Vindicating God (Leiden: Brill, 2003). ISBN 978-90-04-12163-8.
- Brady's English translation of Targum Lamentations.
- Brady's English translation of Targum Ruth.
- "John W. M. Brady Obituary". Centre Daily Times. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Cole, Dave. "Scholarship Announced After the Passing of Honors College Dean's Son". StateCollege.com. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- The Newsletter for Targumic and Cognate Literature
- Tulane Honors Program
- Schreyer Honors College
- Official website of the Oriental Institute
- Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies, Yarnton Manor
|This Judaism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the Hebrew Bible is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|