Carl Fredrik Christoffer Schander (1960 – February 20, 2012) was a professor in marine biology at the University of Bergen, Norway. He was also a thematic leader at the Centre of Excellence in Geobiology. His doctoral thesis (1997), from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, treated the evolutionary relationships of the parasitic marine gastropod family Pyramidellidae. He worked on marine invertebrates, mainly molluscs, and has published more than 90 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals, whereof 76 are indexed in Web of Knowledge. Fourteen of them have been cited ten times or more.
According to his web page, the goal of his research was to understand the role that evolutionary forces and phylogeny have played in creating organismal diversity. To develop this understanding, he used phylogenetic analyses that integrated morphological, ultrastructural and molecular data. His research focused on the molluscs, because of the amazing morphological diversity of recent taxa, and because of their fossil record dating back to the Precambrian. More specifically, his research focused on the ectoparasitic pyramidellid gastropods and the, shell-less, primary deep-sea aplacophorans. He was also interested in the biogeography of these animals, and were also studying the relationship between the molluscs and other animal groups, and the population genetics of several organisms.
Schander was born in Sweden in 1960. Based in his home town of Borås, he became one of the most active Swedish science fiction fans in the 1980s, creating fanzines such as Semikolon A & B and I väntan på PEP and the APA Efterapa, and arranging science fiction conventions such as RegnCon in 1981. He died after a short illness on 20 February 2012.
- Schander C. (1993). "Bathyarca grenophia (Mollusca, Bivalvia) utilises Astrorhitza arenaria and Rhabdammina abyssorum (Foraminifera) as hard substrate on ooze bottoms". Fauna Norvegica 14(3): 61-62.
- Warén A., Gofas S. & Schander C. (1993). "Systematic position of three European heterobranch Gastropods". Veliger 36(1): 1-15.
- Nofroni I. & Schander C. (1994). "Description of three new species of Pyramidellidae (Gastropoda, Heterobranchia) from West Africa". Notiziario CISMA 15(1): 1-10.
- Schander C. (1994). "Twenty-eight new species of Pyramidellidae (Gastropoda, Heterobranchia) from West Africa". Notiziario CISMA 15(1): 11-76.
- Schander C. (1995). "Pyramidellidae (Mollusca, Gastropoda, Heterobranchia) of the Faroe Islands". Sarsia 80: 55-65.
- Schander, C.; Thollesson, M. (1995). "Phylogenetic taxonomy-some comments". Zoologica Scripta 24 (3): 263. doi:10.1111/j.1463-6409.1995.tb00404.x.
- Lundberg, J., Schander C. & Stokland Ø. (1996). "A preliminary cladistic analysis of North Atlantic Oenopota Moerch, 1852 and Propebela Iredale, 1918 (Gastropoda, Conoidea)". Journal of Molluscan Studies 62: 289-298.
- Schander C. (1997). "Turbonilla angelinagagiliniae, new name for Turbonilla scrobiculata Schander, 1994 (Gastropoda, Heterobranchia, Pyramidellidae)". Bolletino Malacologico 13: 45-46.
- Schander C. (1998). "Types, emendations and names - a reply to Lidén et al." Taxon 47: 401-406
- Scheltema, A. H.; Schander, C. (2000). "Discrimination and phylogeny of solenogaster species through the morphology of hard parts (Mollusca, Aplacophora, Neomeniomorpha)". The Biological bulletin 198 (1): 121–151. PMID 10707820.
- Dahlgren, T. G.; Akesson, B.; Schander, C.; Halanych, K. M.; Sundberg, P. (2001). "Molecular phylogeny of the model annelid Ophryotrocha". The Biological bulletin 201 (2): 193–203. PMID 11687391. PDF.
- Schander, C.; Sundberg, P. (2001). "Useful characters in gastropod phylogeny: Soft information or hard facts?". Systematic biology 50 (1): 136–141. PMID 12116590., PDF.
- Schander, C. (2003). "DNA, PCR and formalinized animal tissue ? A short review and protocols". Organisms Diversity & Evolution 3 (3): 195–201. doi:10.1078/1439-6092-00071. PDF.
- Dayrat B., Schander C., Angielczyk K. D. (2004). "Suggestions for a new species nomenclature". Taxon 53 (2): 485–491. doi:10.2307/4135627. JSTOR 4135627.
- Passamaneck, Y.; Schander, C.; Halanych, K. (2004). "Investigation of molluscan phylogeny using large-subunit and small-subunit nuclear rRNA sequences.". Molecular Phylogenetics & Evolution 32 (1): 25–38. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2003.12.016. PMID 15186794.
- Schander, C.; Willassen, E. (2005). "What can biological barcoding do for marine biology?". Marine Biology Research 1: 79. doi:10.1080/17451000510018962. PDF.
- Caron; Scheltema, A.; Schander, C.; Rudkin, D. (Jul 2006). "A soft-bodied mollusc with radula from the Middle Cambrian Burgess Shale". Nature 442 (7099): 159–163. Bibcode:2006Natur.442..159C. doi:10.1038/nature04894. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 16838013.
- Pleijel, F.; Jondelius, U.; Norlinder, E.; Nygren, A.; Oxelman, B.; Schander, C.; Sundberg, P.; Thollesson, M. (2008). "Phylogenies without roots? A plea for the use of vouchers in molecular phylogenetic studies". Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 48 (1): 369–371. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2008.03.024. PMID 18424089.
- Cárdenas, P.; Xavier, J. R.; Reveillaud, J.; Schander, C.; Rapp, H. T. (2011). "Molecular Phylogeny of the Astrophorida (Porifera, Demospongiaep) Reveals an Unexpected High Level of Spicule Homoplasy". PLoS ONE 6 (4): e18318. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0018318. PMC 3072971. PMID 21494664.
- Christoffer Schander
- "Direktør ved Universitetsmuseet Christoffer Schander er død" Universitetsmuseet i Bergen website; 21 February 2012
- The aplacophora homepage