Christopher Caldwell (born 1962) is an American journalist and senior editor at The Weekly Standard, as well as a regular contributor to the Financial Times and Slate. His writing also frequently appears in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, where he is a contributing editor to the paper's magazine, and The Washington Post. He was also a regular contributor to The Atlantic Monthly and The New York Press and the assistant managing editor of The American Spectator.
Caldwell was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, and is a graduate of Harvard College, where he studied English literature. His wife Zelda is the daughter of journalist Robert Novak. He has five children.
Caldwell's 2009 book Reflections on the Revolution In Europe, which deals with increased Muslim immigration to Europe, received mixed reactions. The Economist newspaper called it "an important book as well as a provocative one: the best statement to date of the pessimist’s position on Islamic immigration in Europe." The Marxist historian Perry Anderson concurred, calling it "the most striking single book to have appeared, in any language, on immigration in Western Europe". However, others accused Caldwell of stoking what The Guardian referred to as a "culture of fear". Caldwell insists that he is "instinctively pro-immigration" and conscious of the media tendency to "sensationalise stories against Muslims".
- Left Hooks, Right Crosses: A Decade of Political Writing (Nation books), edited by Christopher Hitchens and Christopher Caldwell. Perseus. 2002. ISBN 978-1-56025-409-6
- Reflections on the Revolution In Europe: Immigration, Islam, and the West. London, Allen Lane. 2009. ISBN 978-0-7139-9936-5
- Une révolution sous nos yeux, comment l'Islam va transformer la France et l'Europe, préface de Michèle Tribalat, éditions du Toucan, octobre 2011. ISBN 978-2-8100-0444-7
- "Robert Novak Dies at 78". All 4 Free Here. 2009-08-19. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- A treacherous path? The Economist 27 August 2009. Retrieved 29 March 2010
- Perry Anderson, 'Portents of Eurabia', The National, August 2009
- Goodhart, David (2009-01-17). "Do we need more people in Europe?". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "Europe is changing to accommodate Islam, says US author". NRC Handelsblad. 2009-09-08. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Mishra, Pankaj (2009-08-15). "A culture of fear". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "An Interview with Christopher Caldwell". Pickled politics. 2009-06-03. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- Financial Times bio
- Voices on Antisemitism Interview with Christopher Caldwell from the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
- The Financial Times Author archive.
- Europe Needs To Get Real
- Evelyn Waugh, Reconsidered
- Islamic Europe?
- Why The GOP Is Doomed
- All Bulked Up
- Who Bought Bush's Stock?
- C-SPAN Q&A interview with Caldwell, September 13, 2009