Claudio Sillero-Zubiri was born in Argentina and is a British zoologist. He is a Research Fellow at Oxford University's WildCRU, the Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, and Lady Margaret Hall. He the Chair of the IUCN/SSC Canid Specialist Group, and Head of Conservation of the Born Free Foundation. He is internationally recognized for his work with carnivore conservation, and in particular the endangered Ethiopian wolf (Canis simensis).
He studied at the Universidad Nacional de La Plata, then obtained his Ph.D. at Oxford University in 1994 with a study on the behavioural ecology of the Ethiopian wolf. Academic interests are the behavioural ecology of carnivores, conservation biology and population biology, with a particular interest in the Canidae.
His work includes the conservation of endangered species, protected areas management, and wildlife surveys for 15 years spanning three African countries and Argentina. In 1998 he received the Whitley Award for Animal Conservation from the Royal Geographical Society for his work in Ethiopia.
Becoming increasingly involved in the relationships between protected areas and their surrounding rural communities, he is now working with biodiversity conservation policies and practices, particularly in South America, India and Ethiopia, culminating in his current work on the resolution of conflict between wildlife and human interests.
His work with the IUCN Canid Specialist Group began in 1995 as Conservation Officer, assisting with various conservation programmes and coordinating the Ethiopian Wolf Conservation Programme (EWCP). In 2000 he became Deputy Chair of the CSG and in 2004 edited the second edition of the IUCN Canid Action Plan. He is currently the Chair of the Canid Specialist Group, and Editor of the Canid News journal. He is also active in several other IUCN Specialist Groups.
- Biology and Conservation of Wild Canids David W. Macdonald (editor), Claudio Sillero-Zubiri (editor) (Oxford University Press, 2004) ISBN 0-19-851555-3
- The Ethiopian Wolf: Status Survey and Conservation Action Plan Claudio Sillero-Zubiri (editor), David MacDonald (editor) (IUCN The World Conservation Union, 1997) ISBN 2-8317-0407-3
- The Wolf Watchers (Born Free Wildlife Books) Alison Hood, Claudio Sillero-Zubiri (Templar Publishing, 1997) ISBN 1-898784-71-X children's book
- People and Wildlife - Conflict Resolution Manuals several human-wildlife conflict manuals co-authored by Claudio Sillero-Zubiri (pdf)
- Mammalian Species Canis simensis by Claudio Sillero-Zubiri and Dada Gottelli (The American Society of Mammologists, 1994) (pdf)
- Deputy Director of 'Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU) of the University of Oxford Department of Zoology, profile includes list of recent publications
- Dr. Claudio Sillero at the University of Oxford, Department of Zoology
- Ethiopian Wolf Conservation Programme
- Ethiopian Wolf Conservation Programme (EWCP) at WildCRU
- The Wolf Project, including the Ethiopian Wolf Conservation Programme, at the Born Free Foundation
- People and Wildlife partnership between WildCRU and the Born Free Foundation to create conservation solutions for living together
- IUCN/SSC Canid Specialist Group of the World Conservation Union, Species Survival Commission
- Canid News scientific journal published by Oxford University’s Wildlife Conservation Research Unit
- Ethiopian Wolf Conservation Program at the Wildlife Conservation Network
- Whitley Award 1998 from the Whitley Laing Foundation
- Works by or about Claudio Sillero-Zubiri in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Ethiopian Wolf at DMOZ