August 8, 1987 |
Sicamous, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 5 in (196 cm)|
|Weight||213 lb (97 kg; 15 st 3 lb)|
Toronto Maple Leafs
|NHL Draft||79th overall, 2005
Cody Franson (born August 8, 1987) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman. Franson is currently a member of the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was drafted in the third round, 79th overall by the Nashville Predators in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, joined the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2011, before returning to the Nashville Predators by way of a trade on February 15, 2015.
Franson played minor hockey for the Sicamous Eagles in Sicamous, British Columbia. During the 2003-2004 season, Franson played junior 'B' hockey with the Beaver Valley Nitehawks, a team based out of Fruitvale, British Columbia, in the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League (KIJHL). The Nitehawks won the KIJHL championship the year Franson played on the team.
Franson went undrafted in the 2002 WHL Bantam Draft. Nevertheless, the Vancouver Giants in the Western Hockey League (WHL) offered him a tryout and Franson was successful in making the team. Franson played fulltime for the Giants starting in the 2004–05, where he put up 13 points. Franson then improved to 55- and 51-point campaigns with the Giants in the next two seasons. In 2006, he helped lead the Giants to a President's Cup as WHL champions, earning a berth in the 2006 Memorial Cup. He recorded the only hat-trick of the tournament and led all defencemen in scoring with 5 points in 5 games. In the subsequent off-season, Franson signed an entry-level contract with the Predators in July 2006. The next year, he was named to the WHL West First All-Star Team and was nominated for the Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy as the league's top defenceman (awarded to Kris Russell of the Medicine Hat Tigers). After falling to the Medicine Hat Tigers in the 2007 WHL Final, Franson and the Giants captured the 2007 Memorial Cup as tournament hosts, defeating the Tigers in the final.
Franson was drafted in the 3rd round, 79th overall, by the Nashville Predators in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
On October 17, 2009, Franson played in his first NHL game against the Washington Capitals, notching a single shot on goal. Later that week, on October 22, Franson scored his first NHL goal against Pascal Leclaire of the Ottawa Senators.
Toronto Maple Leafs
On July 3, 2011, Franson and Matthew Lombardi were traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney. During the following 2011–12 season, Franson played 57 games for the Leafs putting up 21 points and finishing with a +/- of -1.
On October 1, 2012, Franson signed a contract with Brynäs IF of the Swedish Elitserien due to the 2012–13 NHL lockout. On January 13, 2013 he signed a one-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs as a restricted free agent.
On May 13, 2013, Franson scored two goals for the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 7 of the first round of Stanley Cup Playoffs versus the Boston Bruins.
On July 21, 2014, Franson and the Leafs agreed to a 1 year contract worth $3.3 million. At the end of the contract, Franson will become an unrestricted free agent.
Return to Nashville
On February 15, 2015, Franson was traded to the Nashville Predators along with Mike Santorelli in return for Olli Jokinen, Brendan Leipsic and a first round draft pick. This marked both Santorelli's and Franson's second tenure with Nashville.
|Competitor for Canada|
|World Junior Championships|
Regular season and playoffs
|2003–04||Trail Smoke Eaters||BCHL||2||0||1||1||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||57||5||16||21||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||45||4||25||29||8||7||3||3||6||0|
|2013–14||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||79||5||28||33||30||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||55||6||26||32||26||—||—||—||—||—|
- Won an Ed Chynoweth Cup (WHL champions) with the Vancouver Giants in 2006.
- Won a World Junior gold medal with Team Canada in 2007.
- Nominated for the Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy (Top WHL Defenceman) in 2007.
- Named to the WHL West First All-Star Team in 2007.
- Won a Memorial Cup with the Vancouver Giants in 2007.
- "Cody Franson". Elite Prospects. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Player Alumni - Giants in the NHL". VancouverGiants.com. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pressbox/news.asp?story_id=962[dead link]
- "WHL Announces 2006-07 All-Star Teams". Western Hockey League. Retrieved 2009-03-19.[dead link]
- "WHL Announces 2006-07 Award Finalists". Western Hockey League. Retrieved 2009-03-19.[dead link]
- "OVECHKIN NETS TWO GOALS, THEN SCORES OT WINNER VS. PREDATORS". TSN. 2009-10-18. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- "Leafs acquire Lombardi and Franson in swap". NHL.com. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Fitz-Gerald, Sean (21 July 2014). "Toronto Maple Leafs sign defenceman Cody Franson to one-year deal". National Post. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Leafs trade Santorelli, Franson to Predators". MapleLeafsHotStove.com. 2015-02-15. Retrieved 2015-02-15.