August 8, 1987 |
Salmon Arm, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight||213 lb (97 kg; 15 st 3 lb)|
|Toronto Maple Leafs
|NHL Draft||79th overall, 2005
Cody Franson (born August 8, 1987) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman. Franson is currently a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was drafted in the third round, 79th overall by the Nashville Predators in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, and joined the Maple Leafs in 2011.
Franson began his major junior career with the Vancouver Giants in the Western Hockey League (WHL) in 2002–03. After a 13-point campaign in 2004–05, he was drafted in the 3rd round, 79th overall, by the Nashville Predators in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Franson then improved to 55- and 51-point campaigns with the Giants in the next two season after being drafted. In 2006, he helped lead the Giants to a President's Cup as WHL champions, earning a berth in the 2006 Memorial Cup. He recorded the only hat-trick of the tournament and led all defencemen in scoring with 5 points in 5 games. In the subsequent off-season, Franson signed an entry-level contract with the Predators in July 2006. The next year, he was named to the WHL West First All-Star Team and was nominated for the Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy as the league's top defenceman (awarded to Kris Russell of the Medicine Hat Tigers). After falling to the Medicine Hat Tigers in the 2007 WHL Final, Franson and the Giants captured the 2007 Memorial Cup as tournament hosts, defeating the Tigers in the final.
On October 17, 2009, Franson played in his first NHL game against the Washington Capitals, notching a single shot on goal. Later that week, on October 22, Franson scored his first NHL goal against Pascal Leclaire of the Ottawa Senators.
On October 1, 2012, Franson signed a contract with Brynäs IF of the Swedish Elitserien due to the 2012–13 NHL lockout. On January 13, 2013 he signed a one-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs as a restricted free agent.
On May 13, 2013, Franson scored two goals for the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 7 of the first round of Stanley Cup Playoffs versus the Boston Bruins.
|Competitor for Canada|
|World Junior Championships|
- Won an Ed Chynoweth Cup (WHL champions) with the Vancouver Giants in 2006.
- Won a World Junior gold medal with Team Canada in 2007.
- Nominated for the Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy (Top WHL Defenceman) in 2007.
- Named to the WHL West First All-Star Team in 2007.
- Won a Memorial Cup with the Vancouver Giants in 2007.
|2003–04||Trail Smoke Eaters||BCHL||2||0||1||1||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||57||5||16||21||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||45||4||25||29||8||7||3||3||6||0|
- http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pressbox/news.asp?story_id=962[dead link]
- "WHL Announces 2006-07 All-Star Teams". Western Hockey League. Retrieved 2009-03-19.[dead link]
- "WHL Announces 2006-07 Award Finalists". Western Hockey League. Retrieved 2009-03-19.[dead link]
- "OVECHKIN NETS TWO GOALS, THEN SCORES OT WINNER VS. PREDATORS". TSN. 2009-10-18. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- "Leafs acquire Lombardi and Franson in swap". NHL.com. Retrieved 3 July 2011.