Contempo Magazine is a monthly print and daily online American magazine published in McAllen, Texas. The magazine is owned by Contempo Magazine, Inc., and was established in January 2008. It regularly features original articles about fashion, home improvement, entertainment, technology, computers, health care, personal finance, travel, pets, food and dining, restaurant reviews, and people stories that are relevant to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Many of the stories deal with the Greater McAllen area which is a metroplex influenced by both American and Mexican culture. The print edition is hand delivered to 8000 affluent homes in the greater McAllen area. About 50,000 hits are visited upon the website and blog every month which features video stories, feeds, and text. The internet readership is growing by 20-30% every month. The ratio of advertising to content is maintained. HTML text of the online version is translated to Spanish with gadgets placed on many pages. About 10% of the internet readership is from Northern Mexico. Contempo Magazine Blog is consistently the highest ranked active Conservative Hispanic blog on Google.The blog addresses political issues and legislation of interest locally,statewide, and nationally.
The editor is William Ralph Magaña and the co-editor and blogger is Tony Magaña. Magaña also writes for the American Daily Review and is a member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. Other writers have included fashion (Vanessa Valiente and Crystal Felici), computers (Michael Bilyeu), health (Tony Barclay), personal finance (Melissa Magaña), opinions/editorials by Congressmen Henry Cuellar, Rubén Hinojosa and Senator John Cornyn (R-TX).
Contempo Magazine added a weekly internet talk radio program in August 2008 (currently on sabbatical).
OpenCongress, a website project of the Sunlight Foundation and the Participatory Politics Foundation, both of which are non-profit and non-partisan, has listed articles by Contempo Magazine blog as being useful articles for Congressional bills regarding veterans, the Texas border fence, Senator John Cornyn, the economic crisis, and freedom of religion.
The target demographic is affluent Hispanic Baby boomers households of professionals, business owners, and wealthy homeowners ages 30 to 55. Although fashion is a major feature of the magazine the intended demographic is to catch male readers as well with articles in technology and computers. A very active blog discusses local and national issues relevant to McAllen, the Rio Grande Valley, and the nation from a conservative Hispanic point of view.
- Member of McAllen Chamber of Commerce http://www.mcallen.org/Members/52466
- Member of McAllen Hispanic Chamber of Commerce http://www.mhcc.net/directorydetail.cfm?membershipid=553&detail=yes&catid=117
- Highest Rated Blog Articles for S.22 May 24, 2008 OpenCongress http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-s22/blogs/2?sort=toprated
- Borderlands Conservation and Security Act of 2007 May 4, 2008 OpenCongress http://22.214.171.124/bill/110-h2593/show
- John Cornyn in the Blogs (Highest Rated) July 2008 OpenCongress http://www.opencongress.org/people/blogs/300027_john_cornyn/5?sort=toprated
- Highest Rated Blog Articles for S.2832 July 31, 2008 OpenCongress http://news.opencongress.org/bill/110-s2832/blogs?sort=toprated
- Highest Rated Blog Articles for The Senate Version of the Economic Rescue Plan H.R.1424 October 1, 2008 OpenCongress http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h1424/blogs/2?sort=toprated
- Highest Rated Blog Articles the bill to restore the Free Speech and First Amendment rights of churches and exempt organizations by repealing the 1954 Johnson Amendment. H.R.2275 October 6, 2008 OpenCongress http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h2275/blogs?sort=toprated
- Highest Rated Blog Articles for Employee Free Choice Act of 2007 H.R.800 December 18, 2008 OpenCongress http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h800/blogs?sort=toprated
- Highest Rated Blog Articles for American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 H.R.1 February 4, 2009 OpenCongress http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1/blogs/6?sort=toprated
- Blog Articles for Senator Max Baucus February 10, 2009 OpenCongress http://news.opencongress.org/people/1/show/300005_max_baucus
- Highest Rated Blog Articles for Congressman Joe Baca February 15, 2009 OpenCongress http://126.96.36.199/people/blogs/400009_joe_baca/2?sort=toprated
- Highest Rated Blog Articles for Congressman Loretta Sanchez March 2009 OpenCongress http://dev.opencongress.org/people/blogs/400356_loretta_sanchez/6?sort=toprated
- Contempo Magazine official site
- Contempo Magazine Internet Talk Radio official site
- Open Congress Blog official site
- MediaBids.com Media Kit for Contempo Magazine official site