|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Convalescence is the gradual recovery of health and strength after illness or injury. It refers to the later stage of an infectious disease or illness when the patient recovers and returns to normal, but may continue to be a source of infection even if feeling better. In this sense, "recovery" can be considered a synonymous term. This also sometimes includes patient care after a major surgery, under which they are required to visit the doctor for regular check-ups.
Convalescent care facilities are sometimes recognized by the acronym CCF.
- Rehabilitation, therapy to get over a medical condition such as an adiction
- Recuperation (recovery), a period of physical or mental recovery
- Recuperation (sociology), a sociological concept
- Relapse, reappearance of symptoms
- Remission, absence of symptoms in chronic diseases
- The dictionary definition of convalescence at Wiktionary
|This health-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|