Cool Boarders 3
|Cool Boarders 3|
European cover art
Continuing with the previous games in the series, Cool Boarders 3 gives the player the chance to snowboard down mountain courses while completing tricks to amass points. Some courses like Downhill, Boarder X, and Slalom, require the player to concentrate more on beating their CPU opponents' times to the finish line. While others, namely Slope Style, Half Pipe, and Big Air, force the player to pull off many big tricks in order to build up a large point score.
Boarders and boards
Unlike the previous games in the series, Cool Boarders 3 featured a vast number of playable characters, along with unlockable characters. At the start of the game, there are 13 different boarders with the chance to unlock 8 extra boarders upon beating the high scores. Cool Boarders 3 also included 11 different snowboards and a further 12 unlockable boards each modeled after real boards from snowboard companies such as Burton and Ride.
In Cool Boarders 3 there are 5 different mountains which each contain 6 different courses (or events).
- Powder Hill
- Devil's Butt
- Mt. Koji
The courses for each mountain (except Avalanche) are:
- Downhill: A race against three CPU players down a mountain course. Courses usually involve many jumps and grinds, along with various natural obstacles such as trees, rocks and ice.
- Boarder X: Involves navigating through a course of gates competing against three other CPU players to post the best overall time. If the player misses passing through a gate, extra time is added to their final course time as a penalty.
- Slalom: Similar to Boarder X, except that the player competes against only one other CPU player and each player has their own coloured gates to pass through.
- Slope Style: A solo run through a course with various sized jumps and grinds with the intention to score as high a trick score as possible.
- Half Pipe: Involves three separate runs down the iconic snowboarding half pipe track where the player must score as high a point total as possible. The two best runs are summed to the final overall score.
- Big Air: A short track that involves one or two large jumps where the player must pull off high point total tricks. Similar to Half Pipe where the best two runs add up to the player's final score.
For the Avalanche mountain, the player is tasked with heading down a course as fast as possible in order to avoid being taken out by the avalanche coming down behind them. The avalanche provides obstacles in the form of balls of snow that can knock the player's boarder down. As the avalanche gets closer to the player, the snow balls become increasingly larger in size and in number until the player is passed over by the avalanche.
Cool Boarders 3 received generally mixed reviews. IGN noted that "there are plenty of courses and boarders compared to the past titles, but it's stale...there's absolutely nothing here you haven't seen before". GameSpot pointed out both the "bad control and weak course design" as major downfalls while praising the game for exceptional graphics and art.