|MLA for Calgary Elbow|
|Preceded by||Ralph Klein|
|Succeeded by||Alison Redford|
Craig Cheffins is a former member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta for the Calgary Elbow riding. Running as a Liberal, he won the seat in a 2007 by-election, but lost the seat in the 2008 general election.
A by-election was called to replace former premier Ralph Klein, who vacated the seat, after retiring as premier of Alberta. He was considered a "prime candidate" in the by-election, according to Don Braid, of the Calgary Herald., and won the by-election by approximately 800 votes. The constituency had previously elected Progressive Conservative candidates in every election and by-election since 1971.
Cheffins was an active member of the Weaselhead Preservation Society.
Cheffins lost the provincial election on March 3, 2008.
On September 11, 2008 Craig Cheffins announced he was supporting Dave Taylor for the leadership of the Alberta Liberal Party, and would be taking on the role of Campaign Co-Chair for that effort.
|Alberta general election, 2008: Calgary-Elbow|
|Progressive Conservative||Alison Redford||6,130||42.08||+3.75|
|Wildrose Alliance||Dale Nelson||963||6.61||+2.44|
|New Democratic||Garnet Wilcox||290||1.99||−1.31|
|Total valid votes||14,568||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||77|
|Progressive Conservative gain from Liberal||Swing||+5.16%|
|Calgary-ElbowAlberta provincial by-election, June 12, 2007:|
|Progressive Conservative||Brian Heninger||4,039||38.33||−13.15|
|New Democratic||Al Brown||348||3.30||+0.75|
|Social Credit||Trevor Grover||175||1.66||+1.15|
|Total valid votes||10,538||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||41|
|Liberal gain from Progressive Conservative||Swing||+11.20%|
- Braid, Don (2007-05-16). "Liberal undercurrent runs deep". Calgary Herald (CanWest Global Communications). Retrieved 2007-05-20.
- McLean, Archie (2007-05-16). "Opposition eager to contest byelections: Liberals sense new weakness in Calgary Elbow riding now that Klein is out of the picture". Edmonton Journal (CanWest Global Communications). Retrieved 2007-05-20.
- Saelhof, Todd (2007-05-14). "Grit feels Tories on de-Klein". Calgary Sun (Sun Media Corporation). Retrieved 2007-05-20.
- Dave Taylor Leadership Campaign (2008-09-11). "Craig Cheffins Announced as Co-Chair - Teams up with Dave on Leadership Bid".
- Services, Enrolment (2007). "MRCalendar2007-2008". Mount Royal College. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Craig Cheffins.|
- Bell, Rick (2007-05-16). "This could be a bye-bye election: Ed may get a Calgary Elbow to the head: Days of the Turnip Tories are long gone". Calgary Sun (Sun Media Corporation). Retrieved 2007-05-20.
- Bell, Rick (2007-05-18). "The people of Poll 13 live in one of Calgary's luckiest districts ... and even here you can feel the discontent". Calgary Sun (Sun Media Corporation). Retrieved 2007-05-20.
|This article about an Alberta politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|