Crain's Chicago Business
Crain's New York Business
|Website||Crain Communications Inc website|
Crain Communications Inc is a US-American publishing conglomerate based in Detroit, Michigan. The company publishes a variety of trade newspapers, including some city-based business newspapers, such as Crain's Cleveland Business, Crain's Chicago Business, Crain's Detroit Business, and Crain's New York Business. These weeklies follow the same formula, including finance, manufacturing, health care, real estate, technology, and government sections, as well as an "in-depth" section. In addition to newspaper production, the editors maintain Internet versions of these papers and offer e-mail news briefs free of charge.
Crain also produces a number of major industry/trade periodicals, including Advertising Age, TelevisionWeek, BtoB, Creativity, Automobilwoche (in German), Automotive News , Autoweek, Business Insurance, European Rubber Journal, Investment News, Modern Healthcare, Pensions & Investments, Plastics News, Rubber & Plastics News, Tire Business, Urethanes Technology, Waste and Recycling News, and Workforce Management. All have web sites as well.
Crain Communications has 13 subsidiaries in other countries.
G. D. Crain, previously the city editor of the Louisville Herald newspaper, founded Crain Communications in Louisville, Kentucky in 1916, with only three staff members publishing two papers: Class (which later became Industrial Marketing, among other names and is now called BtoB) and Hospital Management (sold in 1952). The staff moved to Chicago later in 1916. Advertising Age was founded in 1930. The company changed its name to Crain Communications in 1969.
G D. Crain died in 1973 and was succeeded by his widow, Gertrude Crain, who chaired the company until 1996. Under her watch, the company grew to have 27 newspapers and magazines. Son Keith Crain replaced her as chairman in 1997. Following his father’s death, Rance Crain became president of Crain Communications in 1974.
Crain is now has about 30 business, trade and consumer publications and related Web sites in North America, Europe and Asia. The company currently has over 850 employees in 14 locations spanning the United States, Europe and Asia.
In 2001 the company relocated its corporate headquarters to the Brewery Park complex on Gratiot Avenue in downtown Detroit, as part of a move to consolidate its Detroit-based employees into one facility.
Notable publications 
Advertising Age - Advertising Age is a magazine delivering advertising, marketing, and media news. Founded in 1930, AdAge is found on many platforms, including a weekly newspaper, website (adage.com), electronic newsletters, audio podcasts, and blogs. Advertising Age is based in New York, New York. 
Automotive News - Detroit-based Automotive News was founded in 1925 by Slocum Publishing, later bought by Crain Communications in 1971. The weekly magazine covers local automotive business news, including engineering, design, production and suppliers. The trade magazine also covers international automotive news with Automotive News Europe, Automobilwoche (German magazine for automotive executives), and Automotive News China. Automotive News’ audience is primarily automobile dealers.
Autoweek - Autoweek, originally a bi-weekly motorsports newsletter, was purchased by Crain Communications in 1977 and eventually became an auto enthusiast magazine in 1986. The magazine covers vehicle reviews, trends, new products, racing, personalities, auto show coverage and more. Its website, autoweek.com, provides breaking news, spy photos, photo galleries, and podcasts.
Crain's Chicago Business - First published in 1978, Crain’s Chicago Business is a weekly newspaper that provides local business news and information to Chicago’s business executives. The publication’s website, chicagobusiness.com, has over 175,000 registered users, and print circulation is over 50,000.
Crain's New York Business - Crain’s New York Business publishes daily and weekly digital and print editions of local business news. It provides news on each week’s issues, top stories, advertising and marketing, banking, economy, education, health care, hospitality and tourism, human resources, media and entertainment, politics, real estate, restaurants, retail/apparel, small business, insider, health pulse, and corrections.
Modern Healthcare - Crain Communications acquired Modern Healthcare from McGraw-Hill in 1976. Modern Healthcare offers a weekly print magazine, website (modernhealthcare.com), three daily e-newsletters (Modern Healthcare AM, Daily Dose, and Health IT Strategist), and emails that report on healthcare business news and trends. Modern Healthcare also publishes Modern Physician which covers news and trends on practice management via daily e-newsletter, email, and website (modernphysician.com).
Management and ownership 
Rance E. Crain is currently the company president and serves as editor-in-chief of Advertising Age, Crain's Chicago Business, Crain's New York Business, and TelevisionWeek.
Keith Crain is chairman of the board. He serves as editor-in-chief of "Automotive News," "Automotive News Europe," and "Crain's Detroit Business."
Other members of the Crain family are also on the board.
- "Crain Offices Worldwide." Crain Communications. Retrieved on January 6, 2011. "The company's corporate headquarters as well as headquarters for Automotive News, AutoWeek, and Crain's Detroit Business. 1155 Gratiot Ave. Detroit, MI 48207-2997"
- Klein, David (June 14, 2010). "Growing up in the glow of technology". BtoB Online. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "G.D. Crain Jr. Dies at 88; Published Advertising Age", The New York Times, December 17, 1973.
- "Crain Communications, Inc.". Funding Universe. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- Robin Pogrebin, "Gertrude Crain, 85, Chairwoman Of Business Publishing Company", The New York Times, July 23, 1996.
- "Crain Communications Inc". Hoover's Inc. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Kaczmarek Joins Crain as Chief Human Resources Officer". PR Newswire. February 3, 2012. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Crain Communications Moves Its Corporate Headquarters". PR Newswire. November 30, 2001. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "Company Overview of Advertising Age". Bloomberg Businessweek. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Automotive News Articles". Access My Library. Gale. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Automotive News". HighBeam Research. Cengage Learning. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Crain Communications, Inc.". Finding Universe. Funding Universe. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "AutoWeek Magazine Names New Publisher, Publishing Director and Sales Manager". The Free Library. Farlex. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Crain's Chicago Business". Chicago Media Hub. Woodland Media Solutions. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Company Overview of Crain's New York Business". Bloomberg Businessweek. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Modern Healthcare". InsideView. InsideView, Inc. Retrieved 20 April 2012.