My Girlfriend Is a Cyborg
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
|My Girlfriend Is a Cyborg|
|Directed by||Kwak Jae-yong|
|Produced by||Ji Young-jun
|Written by||Kwak Jae-yong|
|Edited by||Shuichi Kakesu|
|Distributed by||Gaga Corporation|
|Release date(s)||May 12, 2008|
|Running time||120 minutes|
It is November 22, 2007. Jiro Kitamura (Keisuke Koide) is spending his 20th birthday alone. As he buys a birthday present for himself in a shopping mall, gathers attention of a 'cute girl' (Haruka Ayase) and she surprisingly smiles at him. Afterwards, she successfully steals a pair of clothes which is noticed by Jiro but he ignores the fact as she walks away in front of him and is amazed to see her beauty. The mystery girl, who seems interested in him, follows him into the restaurant, where he was having spaghetti on the advice of her grandmother for a longer and peaceful life. She suddenly appears during which she states that it's 'her birthday too'. The two of them then exchange birthday presents. The girl, who seems unused to everything, behaves very boldly and suddenly rushes Jiro out of the restaurant without paying, provoking a chase through Tokyo. As he spends time with her, Jiro finds himself charmed by the girl. But, after a few hours, the girl insists she has to leave.
The story then jumps to one year later and Jiro is again celebrating his birthday alone in the same restaurant. All of a sudden, the same girl appears in front of him. This girl, however, has been sent to save him from a disastrous fate by a future version of himself- she's a cyborg, modeled after the girl he met a year ago. While he was rejoiced by her presence. Suddenly, the restaurant was under attacked by a gunman but she saves him and others by throwing the gunman out of the window. Despite her 'cute' outward appearance, she is incredibly strong, and her behavior is erratic. Later on, in his home she reveals her true identity by showing him a 3D projection of his own future appearance as a more aged person who warns him about an upcoming disaster. It comes to his knowledge that the bullet storm showdown at the restaurant caused him a lifelong paralysis. But, a lottery ticket he bought earlier was fortunate for him. Moreover, he spent all his time and money on one thing: to create her to save himself of the past about 60 years ago. Now, he has recreated the history of his timeline by sending her but it was not supposed to happen but it'll correct itself by recalibrating to the right dimension. In a short span of time, she becomes Jiro's protector as well as a loyal friend and they both share some wonderful moments. She also saves many other lives which happens to be a series of disappointing memories Jiro of the future regretted to witness them dying.
Over time, Jiro not only becomes dependent on, but also falls for her. However, when she cannot return his feelings, he gets irritated and forbids her from seeing him unless she can do so. He begins to regret this, especially when it becomes apparent she is still helping him while staying out of sight. Another disaster soon happens: a gigantic earthquake completely devastates Tokyo. As his apartment block collapses, the girl appears to help him but even her superhuman strength isn't enough to save him. After telling Jirou that she now understands his feelings, she is destroyed. Distraught, Jiro spends the next 61 years trying to rebuild her. He eventually succeeds, although he passes away soon afterwards.
Further in the future, 63 years later, in 2133, a girl is told by her friend that there is a cyborg on display that looks just like her. She is curious, and buys the now defunct cyborg to experience the memories stored in her hard-drive. Intrigued, she then decides to fulfill her wish of going back in time to meet Jiro on his 20th birthday in 2007...
- Haruka Ayase - Girl (nameless; seen November 22, 2007): A girl who suddenly appeared before Jiro whilst he was celebrating his birthday alone. After a few hours, she stated that she had to go and vanished again. She seems to be a notable glutton. Her looks and eating habits were the model for the cyborg who later appeared to him. She seems to have a hidden agenda of her own, though...
- Haruka Ayase - Cyborg Girl (nameless; seen November 22, 2008 to sometime before April 7 in 2009): The cyborg who the future Jiro sent back in time to protect his younger self from a terrible fate. She has superhuman strength and speed, can show holograms through her eyes, and can reproduce the past through this. She can shock people through electrical charge from her skin and eyes, and can also imitate people's voices perfectly after only hearing them once. She appears to be just like a normal person, down to her ability to eat. Drinking alcohol causes malfunctions in her system. She doesn't like being called a robot. After Jiro's death, she was preserved in a museum, then put up for auction in the 22nd century. Her conception and subsequent portrayal was intended to be similar to the behavior of cyborgs in the Terminator series, as a sort of homage as well as parody.
- Date of production: 22 May 2070 (from the pamphlet)
- Codename: Cybodain Model 103 (English subtitles: Cyberdyne Model 103)
- Head: A reproduction of human neurons via nanotechnology, with molecular analog circuitry for coordination. She is installed with AI (Artificial Intelligence).
- Body: Her bones are made from an alloy found on Jupiter's satellite Io, and her cells are the same structure as a human's. As an android, she seems to have 'eternal life', as her cells don't decay.
- Special skill: Gradually being able to understand the feelings of humans.
- Mission: Protect Jiro.
- Haruka Ayase - Future Girl (nameless; from the 22nd Century): After acquiring the Cyborg Girl (whom she has a close resemblance to), she learns about its past, and travels back into 2007 where she meet Jiro (hence giving him a memory of her into 2008), and later into the year (not made clear) where Tokyo was devastated by an earthquake, so that she can marry Jiro and spend her life with him.
- Keisuke Koide - Jiro Kitamura (the 'boku' of the title): A university student who has bought a present for himself and gone to eat spaghetti at the same restaurant every year for his birthday. What he studies is unclear, although he attends lectures on mathematics. He has a part-time job at a hamburger shop. His birthplace was in a small village in the mountains, although it was destroyed by an earthquake which led to the dispersal of all its residents. Future Jiro became a millionaire through a lottery ticket he had originally purchased. However, the thought of the accident which left him disabled (a random shooting at the same restaurant) still weighed on him heavily, and he decided to send back a cyborg to change his younger self's fate. When the present Jiro grows old and dies, a waxwork model of him is preserved in a museum alongside the cyborg he created.
- Date of birth: 22 November 1987
- Name: Jiro Kitamura
- Address: An apartment in a building at the city centre
- Pet: Previously a cat (childhood days), currently an iguana (2007). Its name is always 'Raoul'.
- Kenta Kiritani - Kenta Sato: Jiro's friend. In the same year as he is at university. Seems to know a lot about cooking involving capibaras, and likes to impress girls.
- Naoto Takenaka - University professor: Always has a lot of energy when talking about formulas in his lectures. Relentlessly throws chalk at his students, loves baseball and has quirky whole-body gestures when he strikes his target with flying bits chalk kept in a special box.
- Kazuko Yoshiyuki - Jiro's grandmother: The one who told Jirou that he should always eat noodles on his birthday for a long life. Thought to be deceased in 2008. It is a secret as to who she really is. Later revealed in the movie that she was Jiro's mother.
- Hiromasa Taguchi - Shooter: Seemingly lost his mind in the restaurant on 22 November 2008. Shot at the customers randomly with an automatic rifle, then poured gasoline all over the restaurant and planned to set fire to it. The cause of future Jirou's disability.
-  IMDB. Retrieved 2012-06-04
- "Box office by Country: Cyborg She Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-06-04
- Gray, Jason (May 13, 2008). "Gaga's Cyborg She finds real-life home with Bogeydom". Screen International.