|This article does not cite any references or sources. (March 2011)|
A DIN rail is a metal rail of a standard type widely used for mounting circuit breakers and industrial control equipment inside equipment racks. These products are typically made from cold rolled carbon steel sheet with a zinc-plated and chromated bright surface finish. The term derives from the original specifications published by Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN) in Germany, which have since been adopted as European (EN) and international (ISO) standards.
There are three major types of DIN rail:
- Top hat section, type O, or type Ω, with hat-shaped cross section.
- C section
- G section
Top hat rail EN 50022
This 35-mm wide rail is widely used to mount circuit breakers. The EN 50022 standard specifies both a 7.5 mm (shown above) and a 15 mm high version, which are officially designated
- top hat rail EN 50022 – 35 × 7.5
- top hat rail EN 50022 – 35 × 15
Some manufacturers catalogues also use the terms Top hat section / Type O / Type Omega (Ω).
These rail are symmetrical within the tolerances given. There are four popular C section rail, C20, C30, C40 and C50. The number suffix corresponds to the overall vertical length of the rail.
G-type rail (according to EN 50035, BS 5825, DIN 46277-1).
In addition to the popular 35 mm x 7.5 mm top-hat rail (EN 50022, BS 5584, DIN 46277-3), several less widely used types of mounting rails have also been standardized:
- Miniature top-hat rail, 15 mm x 5.5 mm (EN 50045, BS 6273, DIN 46277-2);
- 75 mm wide top-hat rail (EN 50023, BS 5585);
- European Standard EN 50022: Specification for low voltage switchgear and control-gear for industrial use. Mounting rails. Top hat rails 35 mm wide for snap-on mounting of equipment. (formerly: German Standard DIN 46277, British Standard BS 5584)
- IEC International Standard 60715: Dimensions of low-voltage switchgear and control-gear. Standardized mounting on rails for mechanical support of electrical devices in switchgear and control-gear installations.
- Australian Standard AS 2756.1997: Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear - Mounting rails for mechanical support of electrical equipment.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DIN rail.|