||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2013)|
DJ Yoda performing at Club Low in Madrid in 2008
|Birth name||Duncan Beiny|
|Genres||Hip hop, electronica, trip hop|
|Associated acts||Jungle Brothers|
After Highgate School he studied English and American literature at the University of Warwick from 1995 to 1998. During this period, he began performing at Mojo, a popular Warwick hip hop and soul night at the student's union until he graduated. After he left university, he began releasing underground demo mix-tapes to small music shops. Through the popularity of these tapes, Antidote Records asked him to create an official mixtape, from which How to Cut & Paste Mix Tape Vol.1 was released.
He has won a DMC DJ of the Year award in the Scratch DJ category (2001) and was one of six nominees for best UK hip-hop DJ in the UK Hip-Hop Awards. He has also been nominated by Q magazine as one of the "Ten DJs To See Before You Die", has released a series of mix-tapes, and has toured the globe with Goldie and the Scratch Perverts. In 2010 he also won the 9th Annual Independent Music Awards for Contemporary Classic Album with the Heritage Orchestra. He is currently the hip-hop correspondent for IDJ magazines, and also writes the DJ page for Hip Hop Connection magazine. He has also been on the judging panel for the DMC DJ World Finals for the last three years.
Yoda released his debut album of original material, entitled The Amazing Adventures of DJ Yoda, on 2 October 2006 on Antidote Records. The album features guest vocalists, including Biz Markie, Sway, Ugly Duckling and MC Paul Barman. In addition to releasing his own material, he has also performed scratches on Dangermouse and Jemini's Ghetto Pop Life.
Singles & EPs
- DJ Yoda Featuring People Under The Stairs – Quid Control (2002)
- Wheels (Antidote Records) (2006)
- Playin' Around (Antidote Records) (2007)
- DJ Yoda & Friends (2011)
- The Amazing Adventures of DJ Yoda (Antidote Records) (2006)
- Chop Suey (Get Involved Records) (2012)
- How to Cut and Paste Mix Tape Vol.1 (Antidote Records) (2001)
- Fisticuts (Spine Magazine) (2001)
- How to Cut and Paste Mix Tape Vol.2 (Antidote Records) (2002)
- How to Cut & Paste: The 80's Edition (Antidote Records) (2003)
- Dan Greenpeace & DJ Yoda – Unthugged (Antidote Records) (2003)
- Dan Greenpeace & DJ Yoda – Boxfresh (Boxfresh Records) (2004)
- Dan Greenpeace & DJ Yoda – Unthugged 2 (Antidote Record)
- Hey! Wha' Happened?! (2006)
- FabricLive.39 (fabric Records) (April 2008)
- Dan Greenpeace & DJ Yoda – Jews Paid(2008)
- Dan Greenpeace & DJ Yoda – Jews Paid Too(2008)
- How to Cut & Paste: Country & Western Edition (Antidote Records) (2009)
- How to Cut & Paste: The Thirties Edition (2009)
- How to Cut & Paste: The Asian Edition (2013)
- DJ Yoda presents Breakfast Of Champions (2015)
- Piano Breaks (1998)
- Jewbonics (1998)
- Dan Greenpeace & DJ Yoda – Jews Paid(1999)
- Dan Greenpeace & DJ Yoda – Jews Paid Too(1999)
- Quid Control [12" vinyl] (Antidote Records) (2002)
- The Amazing Adventures of (Antidote Records) (2006)
- DJ Yoda Goes to the Movies (Promotional DVD, 2006)
- DJ Yoda Goes to the Movies 2 (2007)
- "Interview – DJ Yoda". BBC. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- "DJ Yoda biography". All Music Guide. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- The Independent Music Awards: Nominees : Album : Contemporary Classical
- "The Music Special Award". Sony Radio Academy Awards. Retrieved 2009-08-08.