Damen (CTA Brown Line station)
|Location||4643–47 North Damen Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60640
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
|Opened||May 18, 1907|
|Previous names||Robey Street|
|Passengers (2014)||812,081 2.2%|
|Rank||86 out of 143[a]|
Damen is an 'L' station on the CTA's Brown Line. It is an elevated station with two side platforms, located at 4643–47 North Damen Avenue in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood. The adjacent stations are Western, which is located about one half mile (0.8 km) to the west, and Montrose, about one half mile (0.8 km) to the southeast. Located three blocks east is the Ravenswood Metra station on the commuter railroad's Union Pacific/North Line.
Damen Station opened in 1907 as part of Northwestern Elevated Railroad's Ravenswood line. The station was originally named Robey for the original name of the street on which it is located. During CTA's AB-Skip-Stop Service on the Brown Line, from 1949 to 1995, Damen was an "A" station.
Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project
The Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project aims to allow eight car trains on the Brown Line by the extension of the platforms at all stations. At the same time all Brown Line stations are being upgraded to meet ADA requirements. On November 26, 2007, Damen Station closed for twelve months to be rebuilt as part of this project. It retained many of its historic features during reconstruction, however, and reopened on December 19, 2008.
Bus and rail connections
- #50 Damen
Notes and references
- Due to possible double-counting of physically-connected stations, the CTA's official 2014 tally of stations was 145, but for ridership purposes reported having only 143 stations.
- "New 'L' Line Operated". Chicago Daily Tribune. May 19, 1907. p. 11.
- "Monthly Ridership Report – December 2014" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. March 5, 2015. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Damen. Chicago-L.org (URL accessed October 17, 2006).
- Damen. CTA: Countdown to a New Brown website (URL accessed October 17, 2006).
- "Mayor Daley, CTA Officials Commemorate the Reopening of the Irving Park and Damen Stations" (Press release). Chicago Transit Authority. December 6, 2008. Retrieved 28 March 2010.
- Media related to Damen (CTA Brown Line) at Wikimedia Commons
- Damen station at CTA official website
- Damen (Ravenswood Line) Station Page
- Damen Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View