Winkler has been making knives since 1977 and is a certified Mastersmith with the American Bladesmith Society and designed and built the knives and tomahawks for the 1992 motion picture: The Last of the Mohicans.
Winkler was primarily known for his Native-American or pioneer-style influenced designs until 2012. In that year Winkler became involved with military and tactical knives and tomahawks. Winkler designed the Sayoc-Winkler "R&D Hawk" in conjunction with Sayoc Tactical Group Tomahawk Instructor Rafael Kayanan as a tomahawk for modern military applications.
- Haskew, Mike (2003-09-01). "Pipe Hawks" 30 (9). Blade Magazine. pp. 26–34.
- Haskew, Mike (2006-09-01). "Star-Spangled Hawks Take Wing" 33 (9). Blade Magazine. pp. 30–37.
- Nickens, Edward (2004). Legend of the Bowie. Field & Stream. pp. 73–75. ISSN 8755-8599.
- Kertzman, Joe (15 August 2013). Knives 2014: The World's Greatest Knife Book. Iola, Wisconsin: F+W Media. p. 53. ISBN 978-1-4402-3700-3.
- Haskew, M.: "Sayoc Tomahawk",Blade Magazine, June 2009
A More mainstream example is the SOG tactical Tomahawk review.