|Wicks while playing for Newcastle in 2009|
5 December 1985 |
Grafton, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||115 kg (18 st 1 lb)|
|Position||Prop, Second-row, Lock|
|2006–2007||St. George Illawarra||29||2||0||0||8|
|Supply drugs (three counts)|
|Three years imprisonment
(18 months non-parole)
Danny Wicks (born 5 December 1985, in Grafton, New South Wales) is a former professional rugby league footballer for the Newcastle Knights of the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. Wicks also previously played for the St. George Illawarra Dragons. His position of choice is prop, though he can also play second row.
In 2007, Wicks secured a three-year contract with the Newcastle Knights following Brian Smith's clean-out at the club. In 2010 he played for his former club the Grafton Ghosts based in Grafton on the New South Wales north coast.
He served an eighteen-month prison sentence for trafficking drugs from September 2011 to March 2013.
- First Grade Debut: 2006 – Round 10, St. George Illawarra Dragons vs New Zealand Warriors at WIN Stadium, 13 May, scoring one try
- Scoring a 60 m try: 2008 – Round 6, Newcastle Knights vs Sydney Roosters Wicks managed to score a 60 m try against the Sydney Roosters by outrunning the Sydney Roosters fullback Sam Perrett on Sunday, 20 April 2008
On 16 December 2009, Wicks was arrested and charged with eight drug related offences, including six counts of supplying a prohibited drug and two counts of possessing a prohibited drug. Police said that Strike Force Welham had been set up to investigate the supply of amphetamine, cocaine and ecstasy in the Clarence Valley region. Wicks was arrested as he drove his car along Brunker Road, Adamstown at around 6:30am, as part of coordinated police raids in four locations.
In September 2011 Wicks was sentenced to a maximum of three years in jail after being found guilty of trafficking drugs. He was released on 29 March 2013 after serving eighteen months of a three-year sentence at Glen Innes Correctional Centre.
- Coomber, John (2007-09-06). "Running aground in the Hunter" (fee required). AAP Sports News. Retrieved 2008-01-02.
- "Newcastle Knights star Danny Wicks charged by police". The Sydney Morning Herald. 16 December 2009.
- "Wicks has devastated family: father". smh.com.au. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Rothfield, Phil (29 March 2013). "EXCLUSIVE: Former NRL star Danny Wicks has been released from jail and opens up on life behind bars". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 29 March 2013.