|Wicks while playing for the Knights in 2009.|
5 December 1985 |
Grafton, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||189 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||106 kg (16 st 10 lb)|
|2006–07||St. George Illawarra||29||2||0||0||8|
Danny Wicks (born 5 December 1985) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer for the Parramatta Eels of the National Rugby League. He primarily plays prop and second-row. From September 2011 to March 2013, he served an eighteen-month prison sentence for trafficking drugs.
In December 2009, Wicks was arrested for supplying prohibited drugs and possession of prohibited drugs. After being released on bail, he quit the Knights "so the club can move forward".
In May 2014, Wicks' agent started approaching clubs about the possibility of signing him to a contract for 2015, with his four-year WADA suspension for drugs ending in September 2014. During his stay in prison, Wicks lost 20 kilograms to get back to his old playing weight of 106 kilograms.
On 11 April 2015, Wicks re-signed with the Eels on a 1-year contract.
On 16 December 2009, Wicks was arrested and charged with eight drug related offences, including six counts of supplying a prohibited drug and two counts of possessing a prohibited drug. Police said that Strike Force Welham had been set up to investigate the supply of amphetamine, cocaine and ecstasy in the Clarence Valley region. Wicks was arrested as he drove his car along Brunker Road, Adamstown at around 6:30am, as part of coordinated police raids in four locations.
In September 2011, Wicks was sentenced to a maximum of three years in jail after being found guilty of trafficking drugs. He was released on 29 March 2013 after serving eighteen months of a three-year sentence at Glen Innes Correctional Centre. Where he spent most of his time in the boneyard
- Dillon, Robert (2008-08-21). "Brian Smith props up beleaguered Danny Wicks | Newcastle Herald". Theherald.com.au. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- [dead link]
- "NRL 2006 - Round 10". Rugbyleagueproject.org. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- Coomber, John (2007-09-06). "Running aground in the Hunter" (FEE REQUIRED). AAP Sports News. Retrieved 2008-01-02.
- Brett Keeble. "Danny Wicks drugs". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "Danny Wicks Makes Bush Footy Return for 50". Dailytelegraph.com.auaccessdate=2015-03-13.
- "Danny Wicks Pleads for NRL CLubs to Resurrect his League Career". Dailytelegraph.com.auaccessdate=2015-03-13.
- "Eels Announce Five Signings For 2015 - Eels". Parraeels.com.au. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "FOX SPORTS News on Twitter: ".@TheParraEels coach Brad Arthur confirms club has signed former Newcastle Prop Danny Wicks #NRL"". Twitter.com. 2014-09-09. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "Late Mail: NRL Round Two - Eels". Parraeels.com.au. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "Newcastle Knights star Danny Wicks charged by police". The Sydney Morning Herald. 16 December 2009.
- "Wicks has devastated family: father". smh.com.au. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Rothfield, Phil (29 March 2013). "EXCLUSIVE: Former NRL star Danny Wicks has been released from jail and opens up on life behind bars". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 29 March 2013.