David Burtka in 2012
May 29, 1975 |
Dearborn, Michigan, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Partner(s)||Neil Patrick Harris
Burtka was born in Dearborn, Michigan, grew up in Canton, Michigan, and graduated from Salem High School in 1993. He trained in acting at Interlochen Center for the Arts, obtained his Bachelor of Fine Arts at the University of Michigan and had further training at the William Esper Studios. He is also a singer for a record company.
His Broadway debut was as Tulsa in the 2003 production of Gypsy starring Bernadette Peters. He played The Boy in the American premiere of Edward Albee's The Play About the Baby, for which he won the 2001 Clarence Derwent Award for most promising male performer.
In 2004, Burtka originated the role of Matt in the musical The Opposite of Sex, and reprised the role in the work's East Coast premiere in the summer of 2006.
Burtka made his television debut in 2002 with a guest role on The West Wing; this was followed by guest appearances on Crossing Jordan. In five episodes of How I Met Your Mother the actor played "Scooter", the former high school boyfriend of Lily (Alyson Hannigan).
According to his longtime partner, actor Neil Patrick Harris, Burtka has, as of 2009, quit acting in order to become a professional chef. He graduated from Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts Pasadena in summer 2009 and afterward began running a Los Angeles catering company, Gourmet M.D.
Burtka made a cameo appearance in A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas as himself, sharing a scene with the fictional version of Neil Patrick Harris (played by Neil Patrick Harris).
Personal life 
Six months after Burtka's How I Met Your Mother appearance, allegations arose that the actor received the part because of a romantic relationship with one of the series' stars, Neil Patrick Harris. Speculation around this story eventually led Harris to publicly acknowledge that he is gay in a cover story in People magazine. Burtka made no public response to the story, though later Harris stated that he and Burtka were moving in together.
On February 4, 2009, Burtka and Harris appeared for the first time on stage together singing a duet from Rent at a benefit for The LGBT Community Center in New York. The two actors have been together since April 2004. Harris refers to Burtka as "my better half" and "an amazing chef". Burtka and Harris are parents to fraternal twins Gideon Scott and Harper Grace, born on October 12, 2010 via a surrogate mother.
Following the passage of the Marriage Equality Act in New York on June 24, 2011, Burtka and Harris announced their engagement via Twitter, stating that they had proposed to each other five years earlier but had kept the engagement secret until same-sex marriage became legal.
- "Neil Patrick Harris talks Thanksgiving on The Late Late Show". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2011-11-16.
- "GourmetCatering.com". Gourmetmdcatering.com. Retrieved 2011-11-16.
- "Annie and the Gypsy". Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- By canada.com October 24, 2006 (2006-10-24). "O.C. stars hit T.O". Canada.com. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris Tells PEOPLE He Is Gay - Neil Patrick Harris". People.com. 2006-11-03. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Fabien Montique (July 26, 2007). "Neil Patrick Moves In With Boyfriend!". theBosh.com. Retrieved 2007-09-07.
- Thomson, Katherine (2007-09-13). "Watch: Neil Patrick Harris Tells Ellen About Going To The Emmys Since Coming Out". The Huffington Post.
- "15 Questions with Neil Patrick Harris".
- US Weekly. February 18, 2008.
- "Neil Patrick Harris Welcomes 'Happy, Healthy' Twins". People. 2010-10-15. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- Hartenstein, Meena (15 August 2010). "Neil Patrick Harris to be dad to twins with partner David Burtka, actor announces on Twitter". New York: Nydailynews.com. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- Published Saturday, Jun 25 2011, 1:42pm EDT (2011-06-25). "Neil Patrick Harris announces secret engagement". Digitalspy.com. Retrieved 2011-11-16.