Sir David Philip Tweedie
Sir David Philip Tweedie (born 1944 in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne) is the former chairman of the International Accounting Standards Board (2001-2011) and the ninetieth member of The Accounting Hall of Fame.
He then trained as a Chartered Accountant with Mann Judd Gordon & Co, qualifying in 1972. He lectured at his alma mater from 1973 to 1978, then became the technical director of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS) until 1981.
In 1982 he moved to a large firm of accountants, KMG Thomson McLintock, where he was national research partner. When KMG merged with Peat Marwick International to form accounting giant KPMG in 1987, he became its national technical partner.
From 1990 to 2000 Tweedie served as the full-time chairman of the Accounting Standards Board. Then in 2001 he was appointed as the initial Chairman of the International Accounting Standards Board. He retained the role for a decade, through the financial crisis of 2007–2010, and stood down in June 2011, succeeded by Hans Hoogervorst.
He has been nominated as President of ICAS, an honorary position, for 2012.
In September 2012 he was appointed as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the International Valuation Standards Council
- Knighted 1994
- Honorary degrees from at least seven UK universities
- ICAEW's Founding Societies Centenary Award, 1997
- CIMA Award 1998
- Accountancy Age Personality of the Year 2004 and Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Profession
- ICAS Vice-President 2011
- The ninetieth member of The Accounting Hall of Fame, 2013
- Tweedie lined up for top role at Icas in 2012, The Scotsman, 7 January 2010
- The Accounting Hall of Fame inducts a new member for 2013: Sir David Tweedie, The Accounting Hall of Fame, Fisher college of business, The Ohio state university
- Sir David Philip Tweedie, The Accounting Hall of Fame, Fisher college of business, The Ohio state university
- Sir David Tweedie, Accountancy Age, 11 Nov 2004
- Sir David Tweedie, IASB chairman, Financial Director magazine, 26 March 2008
- New IASB chairman must be part-politician, says trustee chief, Accountancy Age, 12 Oct 2010
- Jill Treanor, Calvinist on a clean-up quest, The Guardian, 29 June 2002
- IASB Chairman - Sir David Tweedie's profile at the IASB