Dawn Marie Sass
Dawn Marie Sass (born September 18, 1959) is a former civil servant and retail clerk who was the Democratic State Treasurer of Wisconsin from 2007–2011. She was the third female Treasurer in Wisconsin's history.
Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Sass graduated from St. Mary's Academy and from University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee. She did graduate work at National-Louis University. She worked as a parole officer in Milwaukee County, where she was an active member and official of her union, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees) and as a retail clerk at Boston Store. She also worked in Children's Court in Milwaukee County.
Public office and campaigns
Sass first ran for State Treasurer against incumbent Republican Jack Voight in 1998; she lost with 754,177 votes (46.3%) to Voight's 814,380 (50.0%), with 31,452 (1.9%) for the Wisconsin Greens nominee, 28,561 (1.7%) for the Libertarian Tim Peterson, and 171 (.01%) for the Taxpayers' Party candidate. She was a delegate to the 2000 Democratic National Convention; and ran unsuccessfully for the Wisconsin State Senate's 33rd District in a 2001 special election to succeed Margaret Farrow, losing the race to Ted Kanavas 10,238 to 3,557. She ran once more in 2002 against Voight, losing again with 720,445 votes to Voight's 824,049 and 114,955 for Green Paul Aschenbrenner; and ran unsuccessfully in 2004 for Milwaukee County Treasurer.
In 2006, she defeated incumbent Voight on November 7, 2006, in a narrow upset victory by a margin of 8,648 votes(0.42%) with little party support. She had spent almost $4000 on the race, most of it coming from her own pocket (she was working as a store clerk at Boston Store at this time).
In February 2012, she lost to fellow Democrats Tim Carpenter and Spencer Coggs (like Sass, a former AFSCME activist) in the four-way non-partisan primary to win a place on the ballot for Milwaukee City Treasurer in the Spring 2012 election. Coggs polled 13,559 votes; Carpenter 12,880; Sass 5,089 and Socialist Rick Kissell 2,241.
|2006 State Treasurer of Wisconsin Election|
|Democratic||Dawn Marie Sass||969,115||47.36|
- 'The State of Wisconsin Blue Book 2009–2010, biographical sketch of Dawn Marie Sass, p. 4
- "Two Dems Vie for Treasurer Job: Fyrst, Sass are in Primary". The Capital Times September 9, 2002
- Barish, Lawrence S.; Meloy, Patricia E., eds. State of Wisconsin 1999-2000 Blue Book Madison: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, distributed by Document Sales, 1999-2000; p. 893
- Barish, Lawrence S.; Meloy, Patricia E., eds. State of Wisconsin 2001-2002 Blue Book Madison: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, distributed by Document Sales, 2001-2002; p. 934
- Barish, Lawrence S., ed. State of Wisconsin 2003-2004 Blue Book Madison: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, distributed by Document Sales, 2003–2004; pp. 908,933
- "On 3rd try, it all adds up". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 2006-09-09.
- Sandler, Larry. "Coggs, Carpenter to square off for treasurer" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel February 21, 2012
- Official election results
- "2006 Wisconsin Election Returns". TouchTMJ4.com (WTMJ-TV). Archived from the original on 2006-11-28. Retrieved 2007-01-19.
- Follow the Money - Dawn Marie Sass 2006 campaign contributions
|State Treasurer of Wisconsin
2007 – 2011