Deutsches Institut für Bautechnik
Deutsches Institut für Bautechnik (DIBt) may be translated as German Institute for Civil Engineering, however, the institute officially does not approve of any translation of its name and wishes to be called only by its original German name. It is an agency of the German federal government, with an office building in Berlin. DIBt is an accreditation organisation.
Areas of activity
- Granting of European technical approvals (ETA) for construction products and systems (kits) by virtue of the Construction Products Directive (89/106/EEC) of 21. December 1988 transposed in Germany by the Bauproduktengesetz ("Construction Products Law") on 10. August 1992.
- Granting of allgemeine bauaufsichtliche Zulassungen ('national technical approvals') for construction products and types of construction on the basis of the building laws of the Laender of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Preparation of technical decisions such as the list of Technische Baubestimmungen ("Technical construction regulations")
- Accreditation of testing laboratories, inspection bodies, and certification bodies according to the Bauproduktengesetz ("Construction Products Law") (European relevance) or according to the Landesbauordnungen ("Building codes of the Bundesländer") (national relevance).
- Participation in the drafting of technical rules (standards in particular) at national, European, and international levels.
- To suggest, place, report on, and attend to technical studies including building research contracts as well as to evaluate building research reports.
- To deliver expert reports on technical matters for the parties to the agreement (Federal Government and Laender).
- To carry out type tests.
- In addition to the above referenced items, DIBt has also published a standard for testing the longevity of intumescent products.
- Division Z General Affairs
- Division I Civil engineering (Bautechnisches Prüfamt)
- Division II Structural design, Building Physics, Health Protection
- Division III Fire protection, Technical Building Equipment
- The Verwaltungsrat ("Supervisory board") is one of the two bodies of the Institute. They decide on all fundamental affairs (promulgation of statutes, appointment of the president, determination of the budget, formation of Ausschüsse (Committees) für Grundsatzfragen ("committees dealing with basic issues") and their composition, formation and staffing of Sachverständigenausschüsse ("expert committees")); however, it is also their responsibility to finance DIBt according to the Agreement.
- The Ausschüsse für Grundsatzfragen ("committees dealing with basic issues") have the task of giving advice to the Institute on fundamental technical and legal questions.
- The Sachverständigenausschüsse (SVa) ("expert committees") are set up to give technical advice to the Institute. More than 600 honorary experts from science, economy and administration are on approx. 60 Sachverständigenausschüsse ("expert committees").
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deutsches Institut für Bautechnik.|