Doha Film Institute
Doha Film Institute is an independent, not-for-profit cultural organisation established in 2010 by Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani. Abdulaziz Alkhater currently heads DFI as Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The organisation organically supports the growth of the local film community by enhancing industry knowledge, cultivating film appreciation and contributing to the development of sustainable creative industries in Qatar.
DFI’s platforms include funding and production of local, regional and international films, educational programmes, film screenings, the Ajyal Film Festival for the Young and the Qumra Film Festival. Previously, DFI hosted four editions of the Doha Tribeca Film Festival (DTFF) with support from then cultural partner Tribeca Enterprises.
With culture, community, education and entertainment at its foundation, DFI serves as an all-encompassing film hub in Doha, as well as a resource for the region and the rest of the world.
DFI is committed to supporting Qatar’s 2030 vision for the development of a knowledge-based economy.
DFI is also credited as a production company on several other films, including Just Like a Woman starring Sienna Miller, The Reluctant Fundamentalist directed by Mira Nair which opened 69th Venice International Film Festival, and Kanye West's Cruel Summer - a short film which shot in Doha and premiered during the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
In February 2013, they announced a $100 million feature film fund with Participant Media, a production company founded by billionaire Jeffrey Skoll, who was the first employee and also first president of internet auction firm eBay.
- 23 February 2012 The Hollywood Reporter - Salma Hayek and Doha Film Institute to Adapt Khalil Gibran’s 'The Prophet' into Animated Movie http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/salma-hayek-doha-film-institute-Khalil-Gibran-prophet-294555
- 30 August 2013 BBC News - The Reluctant Fundamentalist http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19421160
- 23 May 2012 The Hollywood Reporter - Cannes 2012: Kanye West Debuts Groundbreaking Film With Kim Kardashian, Jay-Z in Attendance http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kanye-west-kim-kardashian-cannes-jay-z-premiere-328795
- 13 February 2013 Deadline - Berlin: Participant Media, Doha Film Institute Launch Five-Year $100M Feature Film Fund www.deadline.com/2013/02/participant-media-doha-film-institute-launch-five-year-100m-feature-film-fund/
- http://www.dohafilminstitute.com Doha Film Institute