|Genres||Speed metal, Power metal, Symphonic metal|
|Labels||Black Lotus (1999-2004)
Century Media (Europe, North America)
King Records (Japan)
AFM Records (Europe)
|Associated acts||Evergrey, Nightrage, Amaranthe, Dead by April, Destiny, Pathfinder|
Morten Lowe Sorensen
|Past members||Daniel Kvist
Dragonland is a power metal band from Sweden. The group is most notable for basing their two first and fifth album upon the self-produced The Dragonland Chronicles fantasy saga and for the original symphonic/electronic parts by Elias Holmlid.
The band was founded in the summer of 1999 by guitarist Nicklas Magnusson and Jonas Heidgert. Soon after Daniel Kvist, Magnus Olin and Christer Pederson joined in. Their first demo was recorded a year later, in 2000. Only 3 months before the recording of their debut album, The Battle of the Ivory Plains started, Kvist decided to leave the band and was soon replaced by Olof Mörck. The album was released on April 30, 2001, and the second album, Holy War, was released on February 8, 2002. Both featured singer Jonas Heidgert on drums.
On October 27, 2004, Starfall was released, featuring Jesse Lindskog on drums. Johanna Andersson, Tom S. Englund and Henrik Danhage (Tom and Henrik from Evergrey) provided guest performances on the album, including vocals and guitar solos.
Their fourth album, Astronomy, was released on November 11, 2006. Nightrage's Marios Iliopoulos, Amaranthe's Elize Ryd and Jake E and Dead by April's Jimmie Strimell provided guest appearances on this album.
Work on a fifth Dragonland album was announced via Blabbermouth on the 27th of April, 2008. In September 2009, Dragonland launched their re-designed Myspace site, together with a high-quality preproduction of "The Shadow of The Mithril Mountains", a song from the fifth album. It took some time before the album was completely ready. Five years after "Astronomy" the band finally released the new album, Under the Grey Banner, on November 11, 2011. Where "Starfall" and "Astronomy" are two separate albums "Under the Grey Banner" continues the story of their first two albums.
On October 12, 2013 Dragonland posted a picture of Jonas Heidgert on their Facebook page with some lines of an unknown song, hinting they are working on a possible sixth album.
- Holy War (2002)
- Starfall (2004)
- Astronomy (2006)
- Under the Grey Banner (2011)
- Storming Across Heaven (Demo) (2000)
- Jonas Heidgert - vocals (1999–present), drums (2000–2002)
- Jesse Lindskog - rhythm guitar (2009–present), drums (2003–2009)
- Morten Lowe Sorensen - drums (2009–present)
- Daniel Kvist - lead guitar (1999–2000)
- Magnus Olin - drums (1999-2000)
- Robert Willstedt - drums (2002-2003)
- Christer Pederson - bass (1999–2007)
- Nicklas Magnusson - rhythm guitar (1999–2009)
- Dragonland's Official Teaser Website
- Dragonland's Facebook profile
- Dragonland's MySpace profile
- Century Media's Dragonland page
- King Record's Dragonland page (Japanese)