|Born||March 12, 1968|
|Genres||Drone doom, post-rock, experimental|
Carlson was born in Seattle, Washington, United States. His father worked for the Department of Defense, and, as a result, as a child he moved quite frequently, living in Philadelphia, Texas, New Mexico, and New Jersey, before coming back to live in Washington state. He had first become interested in being a rock musician at age 15, inspired by bands such as Molly Hatchet, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath. He also cites The Melvins, and composers La Monte Young and Terry Riley as major influences on his music. It was in Olympia, Washington that he met Slim Moon, Greg Babior, Dave Harwell and Joe Preston, with whom he would later form Earth. During this time, he would often make "sonic collages" with his then roommate Kurt Cobain. From 1991 to 1996, Earth had an ever-changing lineup. Carlson attributes a lack of (full-length) studio album recordings from 1997 to 2005 to "legal and drug problems".
During his illness and drug addiction, Carlson lent a shotgun to Kurt Cobain which he used to commit suicide. Carlson said he did not know that Cobain would commit suicide at the time, as Cobain said he intended to use the weapon only for self-defense.
Carlson was one of the many people interviewed in the Nick Broomfield documentary Kurt & Courtney (1998), which argues that Cobain might have been murdered and casts suspicion on his wife Courtney Love. Carlson states he regrets appearing in the film, saying "I was misled about his [Broomfield's] intentions."
- robwrong (October 14, 2002). "An Interview with Dylan Carlson of Earth...". CosmicDoom.com. Archived from the original on 2009-01-13.
- Pouncey, Edwin (November 2005). "Earth". The Wire. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27.
- Doctor Rock (March 24, 2006). "Dr. Rock vs. Earth". Playlouder.
- "Interview to Dylan Carlson"
- Thrones and Dominions.com - Official website
- Earth's MySpace page
- More images from the Vera Project show by Bruce C Moore
- Extensive Earth audio interview with Dylan Carlson on Jekyll and Hyde, 106FM Jerusalem
- Extensive Earth Interview